Friday, March 22, 2013

Knight in Stainless Steel Armor

We have recently had some beautiful, warm evenings here.  One one such lovely evening, the Dopps were eating pizza for dinner in the front yard when an elderly traveling salesman reached our home.  I had seem him in the neighborhood, knew he was selling knives, and felt rather sorry for him.  I didn't need any overpriced knives, but I also couldn't let him get away without sharing a couple of slices of pizza with us.

After graciously accepting my offer for pizza, he said, "But first let me tell you why I'm here."  Long story short, I bought three overpriced knives from an 80-year-old man going door to door, parking his beat-up minivan in an inconspicuous spot as he carefully canvassed each neighborhood.  The knives were only ten bucks each, but still...overpriced.  Nevertheless, I was happy to pay.  The deal closed, our new friend started in on his pizza.  He kept saying, "Oh, this is the best pizza I've ever had.  This is so good.  And I haven't eaten for so long!"  He was so grateful, I very nearly bought the rest of his little red knives.  As we ate, he told us about his wife and their children, lavishing praise on his wife, saying how remarkable she is, and what a good mother.  He told how he once visited his daughter in South Carolina and had a box of knives shipped there beforehand so he could "do a little work" while he was on vacation.

I wish I had kept the business card he gave me, in case any of you were on the market for a cute little wedding gift.  I know it's not much, but I put each knife in a cellophane bag with a note that says, "Pointers on a happy marriage:  Stay sharp, avoid cutting remarks, don't be afraid to live on the edge, steel yourselves for challenges and never let your relationship get dull."

Here's another pointer for a happy marriage, men:  When you're eighty years old, and your marriage has maybe reached the half-century mark and the retirement money isn't what you hoped for, that's when it could be your time to really shine.  Your moment of glory could be carrying a box of paring knives, knocking on doors, telling the world that you are in love with a queen, and that you intend to do right by her no matter what.  No matter what.




8 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful Circ! Just beautiful! And he has been to our neighborhood too although I wish had been as charitable as you were!

love.boxes said...

Most romantic story ever.

Cricket said...

I adore the gift idea. I love the story.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

You made me cry. Circe, thank you for your kindness and being such an example to all of us. Thank you for being kind to him. You probably made his night. I love the idea you came up with on how to use the knives- so creative and fun!

laurel said...

What a sweet, sweet story!

Anonymous said...

Another great tear-jerking story! How kind you were to him, he may have been a secret angel from Heaven, and you passed the test inviting him to the table, and buying his goods. A special story of his love for family also. Loved the thought for the present and the sentiments that went with it. xo Tricia

Jennifer said...

I bought a knife, too! I guess the man, named Stan, had come to our street earlier. Jeff told him to come back at a time I'd be home for, as Jeff said, he knew I wouldn't pass the man up. (Something about my "countenance meter," I hope.) I didn't know he was hungry, though. I wish I'd been sensitive to that and invited him in for a meal. For shame.

I have the business card!

Shane and Kenzie said...

Oh my gosh I am crying my eyes out!! And what a beautiful and fun idea for a wedding gift...do you mind if I steal?