Monday, March 4, 2013

Preliminary Stages



My icicle garden melted, so I know spring is around the corner.  I'm sad, though, because  I liked my icicle garden.  It grew better than any summer garden I've ever tried to grow.  My icicles were beautiful and hearty, and they grew longer and fatter every day.  I was a very good icicle farmer.

Now that the view out my bedroom window isn't obscured by a wall of ice, I'm starting to come out of hibernation, which means getting a crop of new ideas, throwing them out into the wind and seeing which ones take root.  I have a hard time blogging when I'm obsessed with an idea, because I can't think of anything but the idea, and what is there to say about it?  You don't care, right?  You don't want to hear about it.

OK, I'll tell you, if you must know.  I asked my cousin in D.C. if she would ever consider a house trade, since they come out here to visit family.  She said yes, possibly.  I proceeded to plan an epic three-week road trip.  I've emailed bed and breakfast owners in Pennsylvania Amish country.  I've written my state representative for White House tour tickets.  I have a half-dozen possible routes we could take, there and back.  I have a packet I've typed up if you want to see it, with maps and itineraries.

Tonight I got an email from my cousin.  "How is your planning going?  We are still in the preliminary stages."

Uh, yeah, me too. I haven't even, uh, thought about it very much, or made any reservations or anything.

It's not like I know exactly how long it would take to get from my house to my cousin's house.  I'm guessing it would take about 29 hours, 7 minutes, if I were to program it into my car's GPS. 

Something is definitely wrong with me.  And if you need further proof, here is Ptolemy's shoe drawer.  There are nine shoes in there, and none of them match.  The odds of that have to be like a million to one.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to look for the mates because one of my other cousins, Emily, asked me if I wanted to go to Thailand in two years.

Yes.

I.

Do.

But it's not like I've started to plan or anything.

7 comments:

Shane and Kenzie said...

I would die if I had the opportunity to go to Thailand! I first missed out on Vietnam (still love you baby Cole...), and now my sister gets to go back to visit Thailand in 2 months...yeah, I'm trying REALLY hard to not be jealous! Hehehe
I think you're smart to actually plan a road trip, because then if it happens to spring upon you and work out, the details are already figured out! Hope it happens in the end... :)

Taylor Family said...

That sounds like us. I have to have a trip planned at all times or I go into some sort of depression. But there is a problem when the trip is planned to far ahead because then I have to add little trips to get me through to the next big trip.

Michelle said...

I just love you and your planning! But you do realize that means you would miss lunch right?

laurel said...

How fun. We just planned a trip to Disney land. I think it helps us get through winter to think of something happy. Whatever you do you will have a great time....you always do!

Love P. shoe box. Looks like Maylin's. Except for one thing. She only has one shoe in it that hasn't got a mate and a pair that are too small. Its empty cause she has LOST all her other flippin shoes. She got really nice ones for Christmas. She wore them 3 times. Maybe they are with the socks that get lost in the dryer. So, she wears the small ones.

Anonymous said...

The red velvet whoopie pies are a must if you go to Pennsylvania Amish country. Seriously, you can buy them by the dozen(and one dozen will not be enough) and they are delish!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny!..love your planning and it does make you feel better to have a trip in the planning stages, and one after, and one after. Hope it happens, beautiful country to see..just hope it brings you down this way! to Miami! then cut off over the Southern route home!..gotta see the South, right? Loved the icicles, remember them well all those big ones that stayed and stayed on Big Golda's house until late Spring!..Here's to planning a great road trip!..the Amish Country is beautiful, then the Hersey Chocolate Factory!..so much to see!xo Tricia

Ernstfamilyfun said...

hahaha!!! I love it! oh my gosh those shoes made me laugh so hard. And I am totally thinking about Thailand. Darren and I have always wanted to go- I regret not going when we first got married. When Darren gets a job and we have a steady income that is HIGH on the priority list. Julia told me she was already planning on going with you in 1 year! Maybe you'll have to go twice!