Thursday, December 12, 2013

Alley Cat Fight

So, this happened to me in the ballet alley today:

I pulled up behind a car to drop Ptolemy off.  After he hopped out, the other car didn't budge, and it was about 7 minutes to noon.  I thought maybe she was dropping off a dancer, so I waited.  At five to, I tapped my horn the slightest bit as if to say, "Hey, um..."

Everyone knows not to block the alley, right?  And if she was waiting for a dancer, it would be another at least 5 minutes, so she couldn't just wait there.

Finally, I walked up to her car thinking I'd say hi, see who it was, see if maybe I could just squeeze by.  I wasn't in a hurry, but I knew cars would start piling up behind me.  This woman, beautiful and young, rolled down her window and said haughtily, "If you would just BACK UP, I'd be happy to pull off to the side, but I am NOT circling around."

Wow!  Taken aback, I said, "Oh!  OK, but I'm not sure if you can fit with the orange cones there and everything."  (Thinking to myself, "You know, the orange cones that are there to prevent people from pulling over?")

She pursed her lips and said in a condescending voice, "THAT'S how it works.  Everyone does it."  And then she rolled up her window in my face!  OK, that made me mad.  But since she was acting like a witch, I was left to play the part of Good Guy.  Smiling, I tapped again.  She shook her head.  I jokingly threw up my hands.  She rolled down the window.  I said in my Good Guy voice, "I'm sorry, I just, you know, some of the parents are new and I didn't mean to..."

She cut me off with a curt, "I'm not new.  I went here when I was little."  Trying to find common ground, but also a little annoyed that she was just plaid rude, and not merely clueless, I said, "So, um, I teach here, and I'm pretty sure they don't want us pulling over because, you know, of how dangerous it is..."

She shook her head and started powering up her window for the second time.  What Scott said about me throwing zingers must be true because I tossed out in a bewildered voice, topped with a fake smile, "Wow, I can't wait to have your kids in my class!"

With two inches to go in the window crack, the other mom spat out HER final zinger: "I'll make SURE they're not!"  I was left with my mouth hanging open, a "What?!?"  dropping wilted from my lips into the slush, my hands literally thrown up in the air for the second time as the mom looked the other way, through her giant sunglasses, pretending I was gone.  Aaaaaand the win goes to the other mom.  I was totally defeated, so if that was her intention, kudos to her.

Moments later, I WAS gone, but the frustration would linger, hampering my ability to focus on my kids, interfering with my thoughts, wiping out the goodwill I had been experiencing.  I'm still at a loss as to how I could have gotten in such a petty fight.  It makes me wonder who this other woman is in real life.  Is she nice?  Who am I in real life?  Am I rude?   The whole interaction made me completely lose perspective, and I can't get over it.  I keep thinking, "She is going to make SURE her children aren't in my ballet class.  She is going to make SURE her children aren't in my ballet class."

That makes me really sickly sad, and it's going to take a LOT of Christmas fudge to make it all better.

11 comments:

Julie C. said...

HOLY SMOKES!!!! I am pretty sure I want to know who that was and I want to make sure I don't have their child in my class, either. WOW!
You were probably a lot nicer than most people. I think you need some fudge and a carton of eggs - just sayin'.

Jennie said...

Obviously she is NEW to the studio even thought she went there if she doesn't know the drill by now. The Alley is kind of a no brainer.

When things like this happen to me, the only way I can wrap my head around it is to try and think that the other person must be in a really bad place. Maybe their husband is really stressed out, maybe they received some bad medical test results, or maybe their special needs son is pushing them over the edge. :) Oh wait, those are all of my stressors. :0 Anyway... my point is, the only thing we can do is to use the atonement to forgive and try to move on. We can't change other people, we can only change and control how we act in return. I think you did a wonderful job of holding it together. I don't think I would have been as kind. Now pass the fudge. :)

The homestead said...

I'm so sorry! I hate dealing with people like that. After an encounter like that I try to make everyone I meet happy because I know first hand how easy it is to ruin someone's day.

Maria said...

Long time reader...hardly ever commenter. :)
First off...who does that? What acts like that? I thought it was only in movies of teenage girls! Secondly I don't think it matters if your NEW or not...or have been there your whole life. It is pretty obvious how the ally works. There are only like a million signs that say DON'T STOP KEEP MOVING!!! (I hope for your sake her kids are not ever in your class...let's be honest would you really want to deal with a parent like that?) Great job for having the guts to go talk to her. I would have just sat frustrated in my car the entire time. :)

Maria said...

Long time reader...hardly ever commenter. :)
First off...who does that? What acts like that? I thought it was only in movies of teenage girls! Secondly I don't think it matters if your NEW or not...or have been there your whole life. It is pretty obvious how the ally works. There are only like a million signs that say DON'T STOP KEEP MOVING!!! (I hope for your sake her kids are not ever in your class...let's be honest would you really want to deal with a parent like that?) Great job for having the guts to go talk to her. I would have just sat frustrated in my car the entire time. :)

Shane and Kenzie said...

I'm so sorry for your awful encounter! Moments like that just aren't fair, because they linger, and they hurt.
I only wish I could have been there to give her a piece of my mind too... ;)

Marilyn said...

Dang, sorry!

Anonymous said...

I wonder how that woman goes through the day thinking her behavior was ok. Does she honestly think that it was appropriate to talk to another human being that way? You acted more mature than many of us would. And no, you wouldn't want her kids in your classes because most likely they would feel and act entitled just like their mom seems to think she is.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I know it's hard to do, but this is what my mom says to do when people are rude- "Brush it off like an annoying fly."

Julia said...

As I was reading I was hoping for an ending like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx0z9FjxP-Y And it would have been great if you still had your pink hair!!! What would Scott have said? Heres me voting you get behind her again! ;) Love Julia

Anonymous said...

Hope you got all the fudge you needed and then some! The girl was not going to admit she was wrong, no matter what you said, she either knew she was wrong, and was embaressed, or she really didn't care because she thought she was above the rules! This has been the rule since you and Sarah were little! She knew! It's times like this I wish I had the perfect zinger but, I usually think of it after! Sorry this happened, fudge and any kind of chocolate should have helped! xo Tricia