Friday, December 6, 2013

Double Bill

 There was a double bill at the Dopp house last night, a recital and book club.  Ruby's students and mine played to a sold-out house.  Some of the audience members were nice enough to bring their own chairs downstairs, and others provided the refreshments.  Due to Golda getting the most thrilling call of her life, she was teaching a ballet class as a last-minute sub, instead of playing a duet with me, and Freestone weaseled out of his performance when his ballroom dance party/performance was scheduled for the same time as the recital.  (You may have seen me dashing up the street at 6 to make an appearance at the ballroom thing, arriving home just in time for the recital.)  Ruby and I like our recitals to start exactly on time and stay short, so Golda and Free just helped us do that with their absence.  I don't know anyone who is ever sad when something is cut from the program!  Every single student did a great job.  And Ruby sounded beautiful on her guitar solo.  I am very impressed with her teaching acumen.  Her students are becoming quite proficient, and Ruby loves teaching them.  I love our little community of students and their families.








Mia and her grandmother, Melinda, whom I love.  We could talk for hours.
Our favorite audience members!  Xanthe played the piano.
After the recital, we moved a few chairs, set out a few refreshments, and it was time for book club.  It's usually at 8:30 the first Thursday of the month, and I always manage to nab December as my turn because I love holiday parties.  We read the new Elizabeth Smart book, My Story.  It was a great conversation.  My only complaint is that nobody ate enough of my refreshments.  Can you gals do better on that next time?  Thanks.  There was no shortage of laughter and merriment.  I love all these women.
About 10 minutes before start time, Ruby and I got bored and dipped some wafers in chocolate.  That's how easy they are!  Of course, nobody ever said they were impressive, but I like them.  Kids gobble them up like crazy, and they're cheap, so they have a lot going for them.  Two bucks, ten minutes, festive.
I forgot to make my savory appetizer, so Scott went to the store to buy some spanikopita for me.  They were probably better than my version, which I guess I'll make today for dinner.  My kids will eat absolutely anything if it's wrapped in filo dough.

Next event:  Ruby's Sugarplum Party at 4:00.  All your little daughters are invited.  There will be cupcakes, dancing and art.  See you then!

1 comment:

laurel said...

Talent, talent, talent. It just oozes from your household.