Saturday, December 21, 2013

Music of the Season

I saw a sign that said, "Hooray!  It's Christmastime!  Oh, wait.  I'm a musician."

To me, that's so funny, even if I'm not technically a "gigging" musician.  I remember in college at Indiana, one of the orchestras always had to play Nutcracker for the Ballet Department.  I.U. has a renowned ballet program (Patricia McBride is the head), so people came from all over to see their Nutcracker.  Needless to say, it was a long run.  I love the music; there is nothing easy about it, and it is pure Tchaikovsky genius.  But even the most inspired score can lose its luster after being played night after night.  One year, I was stand partners with a friend of mine.  We brought M&M's to put on the stand, and we would each eat one after every piece. Whatever it takes to get to curtain calls!

Now, I'm both thankful and sad to not be in an orchestra, spending the Christmas season in the pit.  On the other hand, there is no shortage of holiday performances to be had for a mother who has spent the last decade making her children practice every day and driving someone to dance class about every half-hour.  It's a double-edged sword, to be sure.  My heart swells when my kids dance and play music.  However, there is nothing quite like amateurism to absolutely kill any love for an art form, whether it be music, dance, theatre, puppet shows...whatever.  There are moments when you're listening to Tocca Tocca Stop Stop for the billionth time that you rethink your whole take on humanity.  And then there are other, more sublime moments.  There were times during a recent multi-school dance performance that I was ready to call for a nationwide defunding of the arts.  Just as quickly, my ennui faded and I was teary over the beauty the girls created with their time and talent.

When it come right down to it, I'd rather be in a noisy, drafty school cafeteria listening to 100 different 5th grade versions of any given note than...anything.  Even if I'm sitting right behind the toddler in the strobe-light shoes.  Even if I chose the only spot in the audience where I can't see my own child.  I will say, though, that whatever drug people are taking that makes them think it's cute when their baby shakes a jingle bell throughout an entire orchestra performance...I want some of that drug.  Here is a motley collection of things, because I've lost track of when and where they were, but I'm so glad they WERE.
 Dance Company.  Golda is such a gorgeous dancer!  Modern is right up her alley, especially with the classical spin the Davis High Dance Company put on most of their choreography.  Monday night, I got to go with her to the studio and see some of her ideas she had for choreography.  I loved what she came up with, and her DC teacher told me she loved it too.
Scott and the Original 5. :)  We also got to see my cousin MacKenzie, who is at Ben Lomond High School and was just awarded her school's Dance Sterling Scholar award.  Congratulations!  She is a beautiful dancer.
 I found out today when Xanthe's modern class visited my ballet class that Xanthe is amazing at modern!  I knew she was good at ballet, but I had no idea she was so expressive with her little body!  Wowzers!
Zombie Dancer Apocalypse!  With any luck, Ruby will put her years of modern/jazz/ballet training to use when she tries out for DC next year.  Cross your fingers!
 Ari's Davis County Youth Orchestra concert.  Anyone who has seen my gift cupboard lately recognize any of these "boutique" items?  It was a fun concert, and I was impressed by how well the kids did.

 Yep, that's Ari right behind the conductor's cape.  My friend Jacy texted me a better picture from her side, but I forgot to upload it.  Thanks, Jacy!
 And that same night, my dad contracted us to play some tunes at Oakridge at the Senior Bar dinner.  Always happy to give my parents a minuscule droplet of return on their vast investment in my musical training!
Ruby played too, including the recital piece she didn't get to play at her recital since it was the night she was sick.
 Band concert, Davis High.  Santa Claus conducted Sleighride with Golda's group, the Wind Ensemble.  Tziporah had to be taken out because she was screaming, "SANTA CLAUS!  SANTA CLAUS!  GOLDA! SANTA CLAUS!"  Like Golda couldn't see him, right?  That would have been a good time for me to have that special medication that makes parents think their disruptive children are adorable and heartwarming.

 Golda and Ruby hosted a couple of "Sugar Plum Tea Parties" where kids came and did dance-related stuff.
 Freestone's choir gig.


 The kids of the Morgan Elementary orchestra were very impressive in their hallway performance of Christmas songs.  You would think I'd be bored with "Jolly Old St. Nicholas," but can you imagine Christmas without the music?  Maybe without Tocca Tocca...

Tomorrow in church, Ruby and Golda play, and they have promised there will be no Twinkle Twinkle Variations.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Are you exhausted yet? :) It has been a busy, but wonderful few weeks. So glad we were able to see G dance.

Unknown said...

This is so my life. So exhausting. So fun.