Sunday, February 8, 2015

Ohana Forever


 I know there are way too many pictures, and 4 or 5 posts by now, but I semi-promise this will be the last one.  I can't remember what fun and athletic thing the youngsters were doing on this afternoon, but the geriatric group wanted to drive all the way around the island.  Having two cars was good.  It's too hard to get around with 8 people.  Two groups worked out great!  We happened upon the Dole plantation, which was fun.  We had to get the famous pineapple whip, and it was good.
 Scott said there was never a "dole" moment with me...until today.  Ha
 Dad had memories of racing his car up the steep and treacherous Pali Highway, so we drove it.  Dad was convinced it wasn't the same road, and when we stopped at a lookout, we discovered he was right.  The old Pali Highway had been closed due to safety, or lack thereof.  I can't believe Dad survived all the daredevil things he did.  Racing that Jag around those hairpin turns!  Trajan, Josh and I are lucky to exist!



 Aha!  The old Pali Highway!


 Uh oh

 Still the rebel!

 Laie Temple. We walked the grounds a few times, but never found the time to do a session.



 At the end of our road, Hau'ula Homestead Road
 And across the street
 Craving this right now
Different snacks at this 7-11 than at home!
 Our road
 The temple visitor center.  How cute is this!?

 Talking about the history of Laie with this missionary, who was from Elko.

It's all about love.  All of it.

This whole Hawaii trip was about love.  Ancestor love, family love, even travel love.  Hey, it's a thing!  I fell in love with Oahu, and I grew to love my siblings, including Emily and Micaela, of course, even more.  My brothers are the best.  I love them deep down and way back to the time they were born.  And I feel so fortunate and blessed to have two sisters-in-law who are so kind, beautiful and fun.  Scott and I, you would think we would have the love thing down by now, after so many years, but it just keeps growing.  Scott is my fearless leader, even if he claims I'm always in charge.  Not so.  Scott spent the time to do the research and bookings on everything, so that things ran smoothly from start to finish.  And my parents, thank you for making this trip possible.  My mom and dad are completely and fully generous with their time and resources.  They love us, we know that.  They always tell us, in words, and in deed.  It's the only mark of a successful family, if you ask me:  do they like each other, do they want to be together?  Yes!
This is it.  All the good stuff happens late at night in the King family.  Cereal, comedy, pajamas, laughter...

As incredible as all the sights were, all the beaches, the experiences, the food, some of the best moments were late at night, around the TV.  Dad had to have his cereal, and we turned on a hilarious show called "Idiot Abroad" and the tears of laughter flowed.  It only took two nights and this was "a tradition."  I wish William King could have seen us, right where he probably lived in a grass hut or a makeshift house.  When I imagine him there, I think of him as lucky, but it had to have been an enormous sacrifice to go halfway around the world to a remote island and teach the gospel and to build up the community from scratch.  With our vacation spot as his backdrop, I'm sure he toiled away long hours each day.  I don't know what it was like, but I do know that his choices made our lives possible, and if there's one thing besides love that this week has enhanced, it's gratitude.
 This is at the end of the street where Emily lived for a summer in college.



 Official cookie of King beach trips. Turtle Bay.  Lenore, I'm sorry we just missed you!
 Pile of scarves.  No wait!  That's Coco!
 Saw lots of fish and a turtle.  So fun!




 ha ha ha!









 One last shave ice in Haleiwa
 One last meal at Seven Brothers.  I could cry, the food was so good.
 One last night of comedy.  This time it was Jim Gaffigan.
 So long
 farewell
 Or in my dad's words, "See ya, be careful!  Love ya, proud of ya!"

Aloha...

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thank you for posting all the fun pictures of your trip! The food pictures were great and your descriptions made me feel like we were there with you! I wish we had been…what a fun group to be with!
Marla

Lisa and Tate said...

Last post? What??? I've been lovin' this. You do know I live vicariously thru you and your travel. Poor Trajan why not enjoy all that amazing food?

michelle said...

Love all the posts and the idea of Bill racing his Jag around Hawaii! Although I'm pretty sure I have heard my dad talk about him driving a Jag around Kaysville in their youth too.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I couldn't wait to see pictures of your trip! How fun!! I'm glad you had a great time- thanks for sharing:)