Saturday, February 14, 2015

Survival of the Fittest

We have had the luxury of free time this weekend, and we've made good use of it.  Nikki and Clint's kids came to stay Friday night, so we invited the rest of the cousins over for some fun.  Saturday after all the dance classes, I took 10 (or 11) kids to the Kaysville Theater.  I love it there.  Every kid got a drink and we all got popcorn, and the grand total was $15.  Five boys went to Big Hero 6, and five girls went to Annie.  I loved every minute of Annie.  It was so good, the new Jamie Foxx version.  Such good music, great story, loved all the updates.  I even posted something about it on Facebook, which is out of character for me.  "Just saw the Annie movie at the Kaysville Theater.  So inspiring!  I want to be a so-much-better person now.  Maybe it's just the popcorn talking."  Why would I do that?  Why?

After the movie, it seemed like the gaggle was up for more adventure.  Part of being a grown-up is knowing your limits.  Or so I've heard.  I've never actually experienced the type of adult temperance that alerts people when things are out of control.  I usually feel just great.  I could usually swear everything was perfectly fine.  After the movie, if someone had begged, I would have driven all those kids to Mount Rushmore, because we were having that much fun.  Instead, I ran a batch of kids to the park while another batch was at the Haj, then I took a batch home, then went back to the park to retrieve the final batch.

Fast forward 45 minutes to me lying on my bed reading and thinking, "I'm rocking the dozen kids thing" because, you know, everything is totally under control  (Yes, at the time, Ptolemy was in the back yard bleeding from a gash in his leg and covered in burrs, and Tziporah's hair was stuck in a bush by the swingset, but how was I supposed to know that?)  Anyway, Xanthe walked in.

"Hi Mom!  I just walked home from the park."
"Ok."
"ALL the way home."
"Wow.  Did you go over to the school?"
"No, the park we went to, like, after the movie."
"Hmm.
...
...
Wait.  WHAT!?!?  I LEFT YOU AT THE PARK?!  I DID!!  OH MY GOSH, I LEFT YOU AT THE PARK!!!"
"Ya.  I saw your car drive by, but it was too late.  I was going to run after you but I wouldn't have been fast enough."

She walked TWO MILES!  The kid who collapses like warm jelly if you ask her to find her shoes walked two miles home and SHE WAS FINE!  She said she looked at the mountains and that's how she figured out where to go.  I was incredulous.  In a way, it was great that Xanthe had this big confidence-promoting experience and felt pretty darn good about herself.  On the other hand, OH MY GOSH!!  This was less than an hour after I proclaimed to the world that I wanted to be a "so-much-better person."  The shame!  And the way I phrased it, too.  So-much-better isn't even a word.  And now I know: estimating the number of kids in your care isn't accurate enough for a 100% success rate.  You can't just drive off with whoever happens to get in the car.  "Oh, that looks like enough kids.  All the seats are full, so...buckle up, kids!"

I just can't get over how nonchalant Xanthe was about being left at the park and walking uphill with no sidewalk for two miles to get home!  Thank heavens she's OK!  I just can't believe nobody drove by and offered her a ride.  Somebody always offers you a ride if you walk around Kaysville sans spandex.  Xanthe was so proud.  And I was proud of her, too.  I was horrified at myself, but I was proud of Xanthe. The little stinker is capable of so much more than she believes.  Ruby said this day "might be a turning point" for Xanthe.  Maybe.

After all of this, Golda saw me folding laundry.

"You're STILL not going to watch the kids?!"

"They're fiiiine!  Look, they're just playing outside..."

I glanced out the window and didn't see anyone.

Oh well.  What could possibly happen?


*Mark and Marla, I know you're thinking about the mouse at the dentist.  I know.  Did it have to be the same kid?!?!

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Lol!!! You had 11/12...under normal circumstances those are pretty good numbers! Xanthe did great!

For what it's worth, I got left at church around the age of 15. Didn't walk home because it was ummm...15 miles! But, eventually my parents caught on that it was too quiet and realized they only had 2/3 kids with them.

See, you got 11/12...much better stats than 2/3!

Jennifer said...

"Somebody always offers you a ride if you walk around Kaysville sans spandex."

Thanks a lot. Now I need to clean my computer from a bit of spit. But, I'm a little leery of the spandex crowd sans spandex.

I remember the mouse!

michelle said...

This has got to go over on your classics lists! Love this so much! And we were thinking of the mouse too!

sws said...

I saw the twinkle in Xanthe's eye - she was so proud! The spandex comment was classic...so true!

Mark said...

I'm on the floor laughing! You are right…we were thinking of the mouse at the dentist! Which is one of our all favorite Circe stories!
Marla

laurel said...

You kill me! So dang funny.