Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Why the Wanderlust

Spring 2013:  Golda and Ruby had a plan.  They desperately wanted to spend the summer in Europe.  It sounded ridiculous.  In fact, remember how I called that summer Preposterous Plan?  The girls saved every penny they earned and we came up with a proposal for Scott, showing how much we would save with them not being in lessons over the summer, how much money they already had saved up, and all the arrangements they had made with my friends in France, Spain and Italy.  This is what I wrote when they presented their case to Scott for his final approval.

Scott looked over the documents, typed in all caps at Ruby's suggestion.  He finally said, "So are we doing this?"

Golda burst into tears and put her hands up to her face.  Ruby leaped into the air, streaming tears.  Scott and I were teary-eyed, too, as we hugged.  I said, "This is the moment!  This is the moment that will change their lives forever.  Are we ready for this?"

We weren't ready, but it happened, and it was a turning point, as predicted.  This summer, we are getting ready for a repeat of Preposterous Plan.  Golda and Ruby are making plans with their friends, and this time, they don't need quite as much input from me.  They have learned well from Scott and me how to travel light and cheap. They solidified their own friendships in Europe two years ago, and last summer in Utah with the "Fab 5," so they have friends to travel with, places to stay and familiarity with some of the terrain.  I'm excited for them.  They have worked hard to save their money.  I'm also happy that they'll see their friends again.  Chloe, Olympe and Victor were so much fun to have last summer!  As for this summer, I'll live vicariously from my lounge chair at Cherry Hill, knowing that Golda and Ruby are right where I would put them if it were up to me.  My heart yearns to go along, with only a passport, a sundress and a swimsuit, but...it's their time.

Just in case I forget I've had my turn...
 Me, 1986, age 14 in my very own apartment in Paris, eating pastries.  I lived in the Hornabrooks' maid's quarters (my dad's cousin's friends from South Africa.) in Neuilly-sur-Seine.  Really, Mom and Dad, what were you thinking letting me live alone at age 14?  Don't get me wrong; it was INCREDIBLE!!

And then, six summers-in-Europe later (and some at home), I married this guy and dragged him on a week-long drive across the U.S. to New York, then on to spend seven weeks backpacking from Portugal to Turkey.  I converted him.
 Lagos, Algarve, Portugal
 Sleeping through our train stop in Spain, getting off in France and backtracking to San Sebastian.  I kept talking about tapas bars, where you get small portions of different Spanish foods.  Scott thought I said topless.  He didn't say anything, he just kept thinking, "Hey, if my new wife wants to go to a topless bar in Spain, I guess I have to go with her!"
 Venice.  This was all before the internet.  Gasp!  We made our hotel reservations by phone, calling places I found in Rick Steves guides, talking as fast as I could for a dollar a minute and hoping the people on the other end of the conversation understood me.
 Athens.  This must have been the start of a lifelong addiction to gyros.  Actually, it was after we had spent a week in Paris eating gyros for every meal near St. Michel.  It's still my favorite neighborhood in Paris.
 Zeljko there on the left!  And Vladimir, Borjanka and Miroslava, with us in Platamon, Greece.  We thought it was the loud, smoking teenagers that prompted us to get off the train at this unscheduled village.  Now we know we were meant to meet the Mijatovich family there.
 Our itinerary.  I think Scott about died at the prospect of a summer without ESPN.  It's a good thing he was too in love with me to raise a complaint.  :) Now who's planning trips?  Huh!?
I mean, besides this guy.  He does NOT want to get left behind.  His latest tactic, besides being pleasant and adorable, is searching for apartments on airbnb.  I guess he figures if he acts interested, we'll take him with us wherever we go.  Get a job, little man, so you can take your parents to Europe!  Kaysville is great, but the tapas bars are just so much better in Spain.

1 comment:

michelle said...

Yep, your girls come by their wanderlust naturally! Love the fun pictures!