Wednesday, May 1, 2013

OCD Free

Today is Freestone's County Presentation.  I forgot that everyone brings favors for the kids.  Scott ordered honey sticks on Amazon, just like the ones we got in Cache County.  Freestone almost busted a blood vessel waiting for them.  They got here in plenty of time!
Freestone has some quirky quirks.  He has to take the same number of steps with each foot, for example, or step over the same number of cracks.  Last year, he pulled out all of his eyelashes.  He HAS to read at night, or he just can't go to sleep.  He just has OCD.  I'm familiar with it.  :)  I recently explained it to him, and said that it's something he will have to think about, and just to know that nothing bad will happen if you don't do those things you feel like you have to do, like taking a certain number of steps, or doing something a certain way.

I mentioned that some people can take medication to make it go away, and that he could if he wanted to.  He said, "I don't want the OCD to go away because it helps me in video games.  You need patterns in video games, and it helps me with patterns."

Hmm.  Way to turn a negative into a positive.  But...a little scary.  Any thoughts?  I think it's great that Freestone is comfortable with his quirks, I just don't want them to hamper his ability to relax or function effectively.  It takes a long time for him to complete homework because he has to do it a certain way, and follow all the rules exactly.  Funny story, he was filling out a form telling about things he learned IN Cache County.  He complained that he didn't learn anything while we were IN Cache County.  I said, "Yes you did!  Remember, we visited the temple where Grandma and Grandpa were married?"  He groaned, "Uhhhh...I wish you would have told me that when we were IN Cache County."  He literally refused to write it down because he didn't "learn" it when we were physically in the county.

Freestone is really smart and really funny, and just fun to be with.  He said something intelligent recently, and I laughed.  Jokingly, I said, "Freestone, when did you first realize that you were smarter than everyone around you?"  Without missing a beat, he replied, "When Golda almost crashed into a tree driving."

But then he told me that sheep and goats are the same thing, the goats are the boys and the sheep are the girls.  Maybe not quite genius level yet.  But it doesn't matter how smart or how quirky he is, Freestone is awesome.  I love how he stays up late like I do, how he is so talkative and funny, and how sweet he is to his siblings, especially Tziporah.  He takes caring for her naturally in stride, like it's second nature to balance her on his hip while he's fixing her a bottle.  He says he is going to have ten kids.  Whatever he does, he is going to be great at it!

7 comments:

The homestead said...

Send him over we are ALL OCD at our house. I still resist counting steps on the sidewalk.

Shane and Kenzie said...

I think people throw around the OCD term like It's 4th of July candy at a parade. People don't understand that they can have obsessions (like me...I CAN'T leave my house without every bed made, and every dish washed), OR compulsions, (my Dad checks the locks on every door 5-6 times through the night), but it is quite rare to have both! However, in Free's case I'd say HE HAS OCD!! One of my cousins has to make sure every hanger in his closet is exactly one inch away from the one next to it...but he is a very clean cut, successful, NORMAL person. I think that as long as it doesn't take away from who Freestone is, it will only elaborate on his awesomeness.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Freestone is awesome! I am a big believer that medicine can really help. I think he could always try it and then not take it if he doesn't like it. Or try something different. It all depends on how it makes him feel. I take medication for anxiety and am SO thankful for it. It helps me feel- normal! I will have to post a blog about it sometime.

Michelle said...

Yes he is! So glad he is one of our favorite Dopp kids!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Whatever you do - stick with your mama bear instincts. They are more powerful and trustworthy than any advice.

Anonymous said...

What a guy you are Freestone, it has taken awhile. but you now act happy to see me...you are a quiet, intelligent, fun and handsome boy, on the way to manhood. We all have our idiocincricies (sp) whether it be OCD or another type. You are great. Your story reminds me of Sarah's dad when we first were married, we lived in an apt. in Roy, Utah. At night before going to bed, Terry would have to switch the outside light (or even inside) lights off and on a number of times. Our then neighbors and great friends through our life, Fran and John Brown, asked us one night about this and why we had to do that, it was a ritual for Terry, and I will never forget it, and they still tease about it now if it comes up. Whether it is turning lights on and off, washing hands, not stepping on lines, these things make us who we are and the individuals we are. Love you, and how you figure out it helps you with games, we can put our differences to work for us if we try. This is at 4:30 a.m. so hope I am making sense!...see I have this King quirk that I am up at all times of night!. Love ya all. xo Tricia

laurel said...

We have 3 people in our house with OCD. Two take meds. One it takes it pretty much away. The other just enough that they can live and actually do a few things. I think it is great you talked to him about it and let him understand! That really made a difference at our house too and each person was able to make their own decision too.