Thursday, May 9, 2013

Simplicity

Here is the question of the day:  When are we parents and teachers putting in useful, valid effort on behalf of our children, and at what point does it become fluff?  To break it down, I think the point at which we're making elaborate visual aids is the point at which it becomes fluff.  Example:  If the epitome of motherhood is rocking a baby, quietly singing in his ear, what makes us think we can improve on that with posters, games, bins of toys and page-long lesson plans?  Shouldn't teaching music strive to be an extension of the rocking chair scenario? 

By that, I mean, demonstrating a quiet love for the music, imparting it in a simple way, and waiting for the results to blossom within the child.  Sure, we want things to be fun and visually stimulating, but all this talk of trying to coerce children into loving music through cleverly worded posters, a sack of related objects and a grundle of rules?  It's tiring me out.  Children already love music.  Can we please not snuff that out?

Set down the markers and the glitter glue.  Put away the bursting Tupperware bins.  Just sit down at the piano and play, or sit in the grass and hum.  The children will follow because music is inside of them.  The Pied Piper didn't have a flip chart, did he?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOVE IT!!! SO TRUE!

So maybe now isn't the time to tell you about the staying power of your protest poster ... oh, well ... here goes. In talking about the word restore Sister I said, "Remember Sister D's poster last week and how she cut it up and put it back?"

Jennie said...

Ahhh... I'm sensing a continuation of a previous e-mail that I'm just now getting around to answering. :) As usual... right on point. :)

I'm all for a little visual aid and teaching tools, however when the props become more than the lessons, I think it may be time to pull back a bit.

Of course, it depends upon who you talk to. Remember my link to the Pinterest craze and St. Patricks Day? I took some heat for that one. Maybe to each their own. The important thing is about the kids. Let us simplifiers simple away and let those show stoppers do their thing. Just don't tell me what to do or make me feel like "should" all over myself. :)

Okay.... I'm rambling. I'm out. :)

michelle said...

The Pied Piper line is a good one!

Amber said...

Like! I do not like fluff!, well said!