Thursday, February 28, 2008

Better Than It Sounds?







I like the quote, "It's better than it sounds," referring to the music of Richard Wagner. But it's a joke that's only funny if you're in your 5th semester of music theory, which I hope never happens to any of you. The recital tonight involving my kids and my violin students, as well as a guest pianist (thanks, Ellison!), sounded great. What was even better than the way the children sounded, though, was the fact that they got up in front of a supportive audience and proved to themselves that their practicing pays off, and that they can accomplish a goal. And all of them played very well, and I think the people holding the video cameras were happy.
Freestone surprised me the most. His daily practicing is all about rolling around on the floor being tired, or else bouncing up off his stool 12 times before he actually plays the first note. So I was relieved and a little delighted when he totally came through with his small offering.
I get all choked up when my friends and family support the "arts," Dopp style. Thanks to my oldest friends and all the steadfast family members who helped, participated and supported. Especially Grandma Dopp, bringing extra kids with her, and Coco, bringing all the stuff I forgot.
Next time, we are all looking forward to hearing a selection from High School Musical from Jacob. We know the kid can sing! In fact, we don't know if the kid can STOP singing, especially in the car! I'm glad he's graduated from the Backyardigans theme song to HSM. There's more substance. :) The Backyardigans theme song is NOT better than it sounds!

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Well done guys! You work so hard and we are proud of all of your talent. You are all fantastic little musicians.

love.boxes said...

Just hope c doesn't teach Jacob her baby shark song.. have you heard that one.. funny the first time, but shears off nerve endings every time after that! :)

Thanks so much for inviting us. I think it was just the thing for c. And, I love seeing all the amazing things those kids can do. I would love to be invited again.. I love recitals at that little music store too. It's so fun what you can do in town these days! Tell Ruby and Golda that c was quite in awe and thought they were amazing and glamorous!

Also Circ would you tell Brianna that (if she already hasn't) and wants to do an on-line shop.. she is welcome to come visit me. And, I would love to put the word out on her jewelry to my small corner of the blog world anytime.

Also, does Mary have an e-mail? Alicia wants to send her something. :)

Michelle said...

p.s. is that glass castle a memoir? Trying to get it from my library. Have a fun trip!

Circe said...

Ari said, "People were clapping for me when I played."

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tip on the book, I've got it on request from my library!

Taylor Family said...

Sorry I missed it Cade said he watched the piano and violin players and that he got to play with play dough. I am not sure you had play dough but I think he had fun.

Circe said...

That's too weird...I did not post that comment about Ari. Hmm....

Circe said...

OK, I figured out that my dad posted the comment about Ari. She came up to him after and whispered that people were clapping for her. She craves the spotlight! My dad thinks she is adorable.

Michelle said...

We love to support the family arts.

I am afraid that to have Jake perform we will have to pile everyone into a car and drive around for awhile. Apparenly the car (and Bowman's) is his stage. :)