Sunday, February 17, 2008








I love pictures. These are a few of my favorites from our weekend. :) '50's day was a big success. Golda's lip synch was cute and she and her two friends won 3rd place. When I saw all the girls in their finery, I was so grateful to my mom for making such adorable skirts!
Saturday night we got to go on a mini vacation. Scott stayed home with Golda and Xanthe; Golda was completely worn out and needed down time. The rest of us packed 4suitcases full of stuffed animals and "chapter books" (Ari) and took off Saturday afternoon to Provo. We stayed at the Provo Marriott with Coco and Bill and Nana. My cousin Athena is going on a mission to El Salvador, and her parents are leaving on a mission to Nauvoo, so we thought it would be fun to make a trip out of the Farewell. As luck would have it, there was a Salvadoran restaurant just down the street from the hotel, so we sampled the fare from Athena's future home. It was great food, if a little rustic. Nana was a good sport, but Freestone said it was "Gwoss."
When we got to the hotel room, the kids immediately staked out their territory. Freestone put his stuff under the desk, and Ruby organized her spot behind the chair. I told them they could all sleep in beds, but they think it's fun to "camp." They're used to having the whole family crowded into one room! We missed Scott, Golda and Xanthe, especially when I pulled out Xanthe's pajammas that I forgot to unpack. Ari almost started to cry! But our little half-a-family had fun swimming, ordering room service and hangin' out.
The farewell was wonderful. Rita, Paul and Athena gave beautiful, inspirational talks. The clear, sunny weather and the majestic mountains outside the church added to the spiritual feeling of the day. I took a picture of Rita's china (Delft?) just for Tiffany. I knew you'd appreciate it! I got a chance to visit with my cousins and see all their children, which is one of my favorite things.
We had the King side over for dinner tonight for Jessi's birthday. Freestone kept his enthusiasm semi-contained, so it wasn't pure chaos, except when he tried to lick the frosting off all the cookies Jessi made. I can't think of anything better than a gathering of family with the drone of a sporting event in the background and the enthusiasm of kids in the foreground, girls talking life and boys talking sports. (Scott would say sports IS life, and I can't completely disagree...) I talked to Marlene tonight, after everyone left, and caught up on all the good stuff we missed at their house today. As I mull over the events of the weekend and the time spent celebrating family, I'm grateful for every day I get to spend with my kids, Scott and the people we love.

3 comments:

love.boxes said...

I love mini vacations! Those pictures of the kids are so cute. They are all so photogenic. c won't hardly let me take her picture anymore. She wants to be the photog these days.

That is quite a collection of blue and white. I know she has some Royal Copenhagen in there too and some other lovely pieces.. my mom would know them all. That would make such a cool post card.. don't you think? :)

Jennie said...

Circe, I'm glad you guys had a fun weekend. We missed you but I'm sure we'll do it again another Sunday.

Michelle said...

And i am almost in tears again! You just write the sweetest posts Circ! Sounds like a great little trip! The skirts are beautiful!