Sunday, February 24, 2008

Grace Notes




One of Xanthe's first carefully crafted sentences was, "Doh det mine bye-YIN!" She said it as we pulled up to the violin shop in the car. She knew there was a violin in the shop that was just her size. I laughed and brought it home for her. Her next request was, "Mom, bye-yin yessons PEESE, with Wooby." (Translation: Violin lessons please, with Ruby.) Since my favorite part of being a mom is helping the kids practice, Xanthe's begging was music to my ears. Now she gets to practice with everyone else. Don't expect results for awhile...she's still working on holding the thing. When she puts the bow on the string and it doesn't sound like Joshua Bell, she says, "It won't work! It boken." As I write, Golda and Ari are working out a duet of Allegro by Shinichi Suzuki. Unfortunately, Ari is in D Major and Golda is in C Major. Not a winning combination. Sometimes it's a long haul from cacophony to symphony...
Louis Pasteur said, "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is and respect for what he may become." When Freestone insists on practicing in his swim goggles, or Xanthe sings along with Ruby's violin, I smile at what they are today and take joy in the fact that music will bring them many different kinds of happiness throughout their lives.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I swear, looking at that golda IO thought I was in a time warp looking at you when we were kids! I don't always see her that way but I do in that picture! Maybe it was the presence of music! lovely post as always!

Jennie said...

Your kids are so talented. It has been fun to see them improve over the years. I know it is a lot of work and practice... for you and for them.

Anonymous said...

That is so wonderful that Xanthe loves her bye-YIN. Good music is one of the best things we can do for children and I love it that all of yours play an instrument.

Emily said...

hopefully Es gets some musical talent from your side of the family!!

love.boxes said...

I love those photos. Soo sweet. Of course Xanthe will want to copy everything the Ruby and Golda do because they are such wonderful big sisters!

Elisa said...

Hi Circe. (I hope you remember me!) I found your blog from Michelle's blog.. and I found her blog totally random! I can not believe how much your daughter looks like you... good grief! spitting image. It has been fun to read all your back posts and see what a wonderful family you have! AND so talented! Blogs are not only a wonderful outlet, but also a wonderful way to keep in touch! I saw Scott at Barnes & Noble... he hasn't changed a bit! What a lucky girl you are!
Elisa H.