Sunday, February 10, 2008




Golda is preparing for '50's Day at school, another 5th grade tradition. She and two friends have been working on a lip synch from Hairspray. They absolutely needed poodle skirts, so I bought all the trimmings, knowing full well that it would be a miracle if I managed to take the project from a pile of fabric to finished skirts. I'm just no good at patterns, in life or in sewing. Same thing with cooking...I skim the recipe, get a general idea and go from there. Sometimes it doesn't work. I love to sew straight lines, like on a baby blanket. But I got a C-minus in home-ec in junior high because of my inability to follow a pattern. A C-minus. Now I'm CEO of a household of seven, so there!
Anyway, my idea was to send the girls to Coco's house. My mom could be Vera Wang. She sewed all of her clothes as a teenager, without a pattern. She went to the expensive stores, looked around, and knocked off all their fashionable clothes. Even before that, she made so many sock dolls as a kid that her mom had to put a stop to the mass production because of the nightmares Mom had that the dolls were coming to life.
When I was little, my mom made dresses for me that my kids wear now, to things like pioneer day at school. How sad is that! Once, my mom made a dress for me that matched the cushions she made for the patio furniture. It was like cocktail party camoflage.
Anyway, Coco took over on the poodle skirts, whipping out one for Golda and one for her friend, throwing in a trip to the fabric store for zippers and the right color thread. (See, I would have just used what was in the sewing machine.) Just to display her sewing proficiency, Mom made a poodle skirt for OUR DOG out of the fabric scraps. (Golda's idea, of course.) So THANKS, Mom, for sparing me the humiliation of making a skirt that would have had the poodle upside-down and one side 3 inches longer than the other, all sewn together with black thread. Incidentally, there is a Beverly Cleary book where one mom makes an amazing dress and the girl's best friend's mom makes the same dress, only it turns out really dumpy. What book was that? The dresses had monkeys on them. I was so afraid Golda would have to experience the same thing!
On the contrary, we now have a poodle skirt that every 5th grader coming through the ranks can use and be proud of. Golda's friend has lots of little sisters, too, so both families are set for '50's day. Now, what's next...?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That was going to be my suggestion to the comment you left me! Go Coco! They look amazing! Now be sure and show pictures of that gorgeous Golda--oh and the dog too of course!

Michelle said...

Hey Circ! I love when we are blogging at the same time! Tell your mom she could sew me into dust! I have never made any clothing without a pattern and I am pretty sure the things I have made Brittany will not still be around for her kids! I think she should definitely have a blog, she could do book reccomendations too! Oh she could show us lots of stuff!

love.boxes said...

c hates dolls for the same reason.

I love the party camoflage.

You are so funny Circ. You have many gifts that make you very qualified as CEO.. like, for example, your patience and kindness in the handling of the nightime awakenings.. which turn peace loving me into a raving maniac. And, I can't sew either.

SSWS said...

Circe, you are too modest! I remember sewing classes with you.....you were a star! I just think you have too much creativity to follow someone else's pattern. Bravo Coco! Did she really create those poodles? Amazing.

Taylor Family said...

I can't believe Golda is already in 5th grade and going to 50's day. You can tell her that 50's day is one of my favorite school memories. We did a lipsick to California Girls and I got to be the "California Girl." Tell her to have fun. She will do great!!!