Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cleopatra



Halloween is over, but 6th grade continues, which explains the Cleopatra costume. The interactive, hands-on approach is great for the kids, a little tricky for the parents. When I was in grade school, first of all, we never had homework. Secondly, if there was a project to be done, it usually involved a shoebox and a toy dinosaur with a few weeds glued on for a really prehistoric look.

Last year the fifth grade had a whole unit that culminated in '50's day. Golda was supposed to wear a poodle skirt that day, and her excitement was the only thing that kept me from filing "costume for '50's Day" under "Yeah, whatever." In a fit of optimism, I bought the materials for a skirt. It was then that I remembered that I'm not very good at sewing. You remember what happened next: Thanks to Coco, Golda and her friend Phebe had the best pink poodle skirts in the school.

When the note came home about Egypt Day this year, it said, "Wear Egyptian costumes brought from home." As my sis-in-law Michelle said, "Ah, yes, the Egyptian costumes. They're in the closet between the Greek costumes and the Renaissance costumes." In a most unlikely and fortuitous coincidence, Ellison had asked Santa for a King Tut costume last year and was nice enough to let Golda borrow it. (Thanks, Sarah! Got anything for Athens Day? I'm going to encourage Ellison to ask for a toga for Christmas.)

No sooner was Egypt Day history than the science fair project was due. Golda did most of the work herself, staying on schedule and ahead of the game. Her project turned out cute. It seems like life for kids is one long party, with events at school and activities at home. On the contrary, 6th graders have a lot of pressure. I remember how hard it was to practice every day, and to get all your assignments turned in on time and hold your own with your peers. Golda gets up early twice a week for orchestra and choir, and it's hard leaving the house in the dark and cold. She has at least "70 minutes" of reading and homework a night, which often begins after 8:00 because of ballet, modern, jazz, flute, voice and church activities. Plus, being the oldest is a role that has its curses. All this while balancing on the edge of adolescence. Sometimes when Golda pulls out a math worksheet at ten o'clock at night, I'm honestly glad it's her and not me. For the most part, Golda loves her life, except for the fact that she's not rehearsing for any plays. She scans the auditions section of the newspaper every Sunday. They say TV and apathy are problems for today's youth, but the kids I see are motivated, active and ambitious. Some call it "overscheduled," but I see it as preparing for life, and I think it's lucky they can focus on developing their talents and managing their time while they're young. I went with Golda and Ruby to the ballet Saturday night. It's fun to see that their dance training is giving them a love for an art we can enjoy together.

I have to hand it to Golda for appreciating the opportunities she has and working hard to deserve them. Golda, you're doing a good job. I'm proud of you! Now go finish your homework.

6 comments:

Paige said...

send me an email and I'll help with your issue! pwycoff@yahoo.com

The homestead said...

Our children must go to the same school- I have to come up with all those crazy projects too. I do have a sense of accomplishment when it's over and things come together.

Michelle said...

Go Golda! What an amazing job you are doing! Your mom and dad are lucky to have such a great oldest kid to be such a great example for the littles! oh, and I wanna know what Paige tells you!

Sarah Smiles said...

Wow! I felt like I was doing well coming up with a simple Harry Potter costume for a book report in 2nd grade. I can't wait until 6th grade. Golda you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Golda, you are amazing!

Maria said...

Golda,

you look awesome in your King Tut costume! I remember when E had that on Christmas Day!:)