Friday, November 14, 2008

Namaste


I'm one of those dangerous people who has a little bit of knowledge and isn't afraid to fling it around. Recently, I went to a yoga class for the first time and liked it so much I keep going back. Now that I've been 4 or 5 times, I can't help but show off to the only people who could possibly be impressed: my kids. I whip out the trickiest thing the yoga teacher has ever shown me and say, "Watch, guys, this is what we do in yoga." I then proceed to roll around on the floor like a human bowling pin saying, "No, wait, OK, I think I can do it now," while Golda and Ruby roll around on the floor helpless with laughter. That's when I pull out my single, tiny nugget of zen knowledge and explain how "namaste" means that the light within me acknowledges the light within you, and it's not supposed to be funny. It's about finding your center, I say. "It looks like it's about finding different ways to get your derriere in the air," says Golda. Maybe I'm explaining it wrong. I'll have to take another class...or find a younger, less jaded audience. Freestone might think I'm cool if I say "ninja training camp" instead of "yoga."

6 comments:

SSWS said...

your girls look so peaceful! I love Namaste...one of my favorite things about yoga is the end of class. Glad you are enjoying it...I need to join you sometime!

The homestead said...

What beautiful children you have!

Sarah Smiles said...

cute

Anonymous said...

Keep going to Yoga. Even if your children mock you they will follow your example! I have only had a couple of Yoga classes and I loved both of them.

Michelle said...

Definitely go with the ninja training camp! And it is a great photo of the girls!

Jennie said...

I love their little faces just a concentrating. I can hear their laughter after you snapped the pic and their faces morphed back into the R & G we know. Way to take on the Yoga thing. It isn't for everyone but I'm glad you love it.