Saturday, November 8, 2008

What Is Art?












It's all about Araceli today, isn't it? Golda would say it's always about Ari, but sometimes more than others. Today was Ari's "friend" party for her 7th birthday. I was telling my book club friends about my 4th grade birthday party, the one where my mom sewed a miniature sleeping bag and pillow with a tiny doll inside for the invitations. Everyone in the fourth grade wanted one of those sleeping bags, and the word spread. Every day after school, I'd come home and place an order for a few more sleeping bags. At the party, there were girls sleeping in every room in the house. If you were there, you remember it by one word: "Debbie."

Anyway, last night, Ari was crying about a friend she forgot to invite. She said, "We HAVE to invite her! She's one of my best friends at morning recess!" I had flashbacks to 4th grade as I called the mom at the last minute, but it all worked out. The party started with a "gallery stroll," where we walked around the house and looked at all the stuff hanging on the walls. The girls were getting ideas for their own paintings, which we then got started on. Each girl got a mini canvas, a brush and a plate of paint. I love how the limited palate of colors made all the little masterpieces look so cute together! While the paintings dried and I cleaned up, the partyers opened presents. All of Ari's friends were very generous. The kids opted to play outside before cake, so I got it all ready and called them in. At the end, I sent them home with their painting in a paper bag and a watercolor set as a favor.

The party, comprised of 19 first graders and me, was awesome, and I'll tell you why:

1. No adults allowed. No parents hovering around asking if they can help. Scott took all the siblings to a movie, too. Thanks, Scott! It's a lot easier when all the party girls are the same age.
2. I cleaned up while Ari opened gifts. It's a lot more fun for the kids if a mom isn't standing there shouting, "WOW! DID YOU SAY THANKS?!?" every time she opens a gift. Thank you notes can say, "Thanks for the nice gift" if you lose track of what came from where.
3. After singing Happy Birthday, the kids chanted with me, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit!" No requests, no special orders, no substitutions! Have the ice cream already dished up, toss a piece of cake on each identical plate and tell them how fun it would be if they ate outside! By the swingset!
4. I had to remember to get out of the way. Don't micromanage. The kids don't care about you. Let them have fun and relax.

For today, that's what worked, although it could all be different next time! My favorite part was seeing all the little girls being so creative. Each unique painting turned out beautiful, just like each of the girls. It's so fun to spend a carefree afternoon with my daughter and her friends. I count myself lucky, and I know Araceli does, too.

9 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

What a fun idea for a party! Great that you set up for an activity and then stayed out of the way and let the fun happen!

Jennie said...

Happy b-day again Ari! I'm glad you had such a successful party. you are one lucky girl to have such a great mom!

SSWS said...

oh no! I can't believe we missed this! E had a piano recital and I was distracted by a baby shower. We have a gift to bring by....what a GREAT party and what wonderful friends. Happy Birthday ARI!! We love you!

Michelle said...

This has got to be one of the best ideas ever! Now I know what that phone call was for! You must have found the little ones at Ben Franklin, they are the best! Looks just wonderful!

Erin said...

That is a party to remember, Circe! I love it all... the beautiful paintings, the gallery, the favors, the spectacular artsy cake, the "chant"! You are just too much! I want to have this party for myself!!! (And if I do, I am totally going to buy a candle that says I am one year younger than I really am... just like Ari's!;)

Elisa said...

Did you see that 2 news is doing a news piece on your friend the cellist-- that you did the blog post on a while back-- Eli I think was his name? It's tonight at 10. I thought you would want to know!

love.boxes said...

I love the photo of all the little canvases! They all turned out so beautifully! ... a wonderful party as usual by the Queen of Parties!

Sarah Smiles said...

Wow! You are so awesome. I hope I can learn from you. NO micromanaging! What a fun party! What a lucky girl to have such a fun mom.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for all the creativity you inspire. By Saturday night Elise had already papered the dining room floor with drying watercolors.