Saturday, May 9, 2009

Brain Freeze


This is a picture of the item that I fished out of my purse the other day and tried to put into the ignition of my car. I know it doesn't look like a car key, but it is a car. Maybe that's the connection my brain made? More likely what happened was a complete lack of cerebral activity. That's not a bad thing, either, because I've had some bad ideas lately. For one, I got dressed without looking in the mirror yesterday. When I came out of the closet (not THAT closet), I looked like I was wearing Polly Pocket's halter top. Apparently, I've grown out of some of my clothes. It happens with pregnancy.

Another bad idea was mentioning to a carload of little kids that we might get ice cream. By the time we got to the place that has the tiny soft serve cones, they had built up fantasies of 29-scoop sundaes topped with gummy bears, oreos, sprinkles and sour patch candies. The more elaborate their creations got, the faster I drove, but it wasn't fast enough. It's hard to keep up with the confluence of imagination and confection. The next day, I decided to give away all of Freestone's "dumb" shoes. That way, he would only have one pair, so he would never lose track of them. It's always the good ones that get lost. That's how Free ended up at school in Ari's old soccer cleats. Having only one pair of shoes in no way guarantees they won't get lost. But it was worth a try.

I did have one good idea. I took my three older girls to a movie tonight for Mothers' Day. What better way to celebrate than to have a spontaneous girls' night out with my favorite future mothers? I even brought my real car keys, so we got home just fine after the movie. I'm not going to tell them what motherhood does to your brain. I'll just let that be a surprise when the time comes! Happy Mothers' Day to all of you who already know what I'm talking about! From my perspective, you're all doing a great job.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Dang, I needed that laugh! What a great idea, I think I will steal it next year. Thanks for asking about Gram, she went yesterday aftenoon.

Anonymous said...

You are a great mother. What a nice way to celebrate mother's day...with a break for you and them:)

laurel said...

That is hysterical. Happy Mother's day.

Erin said...

Polly Pocket! Ha ha!!! You must be getting very close to "D-Day"!? I have a few extra Hot Wheels cars if you need a spare Circe!