Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tradition...Tradition!



I can always count on Memorial Day weekend to be one of the most fun of the year. We took advantage of the pool opening, which, as I mentioned, is heaven for me. Friday, our first pool day, Xanthe walked into the pool, looked around and said, "I need a treat." I had to remind her of the rule: "No treats until the last day of summer." Last year, Freestone discovered that all he had to do to get a treat was go to the snack bar and say Bill and Coco's membership number and they'd give him whatever he wanted. It was like magic! Until Mom caught on.

Sunday after church, Scott and Golda went to Uncle Ken and Aunt Loretta's missionary homecoming. We're so glad to have them back from St. George! Araceli's day included a special date to the opera with Coco and Bill, while the rest of us visited the cemetery where Marlene's parents are buried. A few years ago, we started a tradition of spaghetti dinner at our house the night before Memorial Day, and once it's a tradition, it becomes even more fun. The kids get to talk about all the fun they're going to have the next day at Lagoon! Incidentally, the kids also worked a good couple of hours in Jakey's sweat shop, coloring pictures for his upcoming art show.

Lagoon Day we got up early to finish everyone's practicing before packing up and going to Lagoon. Scott wonders why the kids have to practice on a holiday. I tell him there's no way I'm passing up an opportunity to use Lagoon as an incentive!

Although Scott and I were both hobbling by the end of the day, we could not have had more fun. Between the enormous picnic at the Turquoise Terrace and the kids' excitement, it was a perfect day. Grandma and Grandpa wanted an old-time photograph of the grandkids to hang at the cabin. The girls at the photo place got all 19 kids dressed in pioneer/outlaw garb and managed to take a beautiful picture with everyone looking their cutest. Quite a feat! One more ride on Puff the kid coaster, Freestone's favorite ride, and we said good-bye.

After baths, I took Araceli, Golda and Ruby for an evening stroll around our local cemetery, regaling them with stories of my grandparents, ancestors and kids I went to high school with who left us too soon. It was a nice night. It's funny how a person's life can be distilled down to a few anecdotes to be passed on through the generations. It makes you want to live a good life, so that when stories of you are told later, a picture of integrity comes through. I feel that way about all our ancestors on all sides of the family, and I'm so grateful for my kids to be the product of such worthy men and women. Having their example to live up to is a blessing. Having their tradition of Lagoon Day is a blessing, too!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I am loving that pic of Iz, Austin, and X. They all have on their best cheeeeessseee! Thanks for a fun day. We'll have to do it again next year. :)

Michelle said...

THsi is why you guys are the fun parents!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you pack so much into a fun day...even practicing! It would be fun to see you at the park tomorrow if you want to come:) Angel Street park at 10ish

Eliza2006 said...

How fun! Have I ever mentioned that I want to be like you when I grow up?

laurel said...

Love the pictures. You are very cool. I bet all the kids on the block want a mom like you.