Friday, May 29, 2009

Royalty

<
A lot was going on in the bathroom yesterday. Golda was getting ready for Medieval Day by dressing as a queen. The 6th graders had to earn their Medieval status by doing chores at home. The kids who earned the most points got to be queens and were entitled to more privileges than serfs or knights, etc. Golda's competitive spirit had her weeding flower beds, fixing dinner and doing a service for a neighbor. I would like to personally commend the 6th grade teachers for this idea! Earning queen status was a LOT of work, most of which benefited me.

The other person in the bathroom was Princess Xanthe, hiding in the shower so she wouldn't have to go to the eye doctor. Although it was a great hiding place, I still found her because she was wailing and whining. We'll have to work on strategy. She did go to the eye doc and survived. After days of trying to get a contact lens in this baby's eye and failing, the doctor told me, "Well, I WAS asking the impossible." Well, he could have TOLD me that before I spent a week of my life torturing my kid. Next week Xanthe will be sporting glasses and an eye patch four hours a day. Cute!

You know it's the end of the school year when the kids have actual costume changes during the day. After Medieval morning, it was time for the 6th grade Shakespeare plays. Golda was Baptista in a scene from Taming of the Shrew. I have to say, the kids were pretty good! (Especially Golda, of course:)) I was impressed with their level of preparation. Again, I appreciate the 6th grade teachers. Introducing them to Shakespeare in such an interactive way is a great idea. Now they know the plot to four of his most widely known plays. It's good to start these things early, before it's too late. I used to read Shakespeare. Now I read Yahoo headlines on the way to my blog.

8 comments:

C and MC said...

I love Golda. I love her in my class, she is so sweet and sincere. She is a beautiful queen.

Jennie said...

Well done Golda! You always have the best costumes. I'm so sorry little X! I agree. The doctor is not any fun. Circe, my friend's daughter had to do the same thing. She found cute pattern printed patches online. Maybe this would help X get more excited by the process. I'll see if I can find a link. Keep us posted on X and Ruby's neck. I'm sorry things have been so hard lately. Hopefully the fun of summer will help to mellow things out before little P makes his appearance.

love.boxes said...

Wow! What an awsome 6th grade you have going there. I love that Golda is a queen! Perfect!
What's the Dr. trying to accomplish with little x.

The homestead said...

Xanthe will be so cute in her new glasses!

Marilyn said...

What a fun day as QUEEN! Those teachers are brilliant to come up with such a fun activity.

Anonymous said...

Xanthe will be really cute in glasses and with a patch. I wondered how the contact lens would go over:) Congratulations to Golda!

Michelle said...

How fun Golda! You know if you get me one to look at I will try and make X some fun patches:)

Anonymous said...

Golda and Ruby, you looked so cute when I dropped your dinner off to you tonight. You are great performers and even better daughters. I love you and I can't wait to see you perform tomorrow.
Daddy