Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Chivalry Isn't Dead


Golda is doing a unit on Medieval times in school. Yesterday she asked me what chivalry is. Tonight at Golda's orchestra concert, I experienced chivalry firsthand. All the sixth graders in the area got together for this concert, so there were 300 kids playing and hundreds more watching in a crowded gym. The way the day played out, I ended up there with 5 little kids who had just downed slushies. Cool! I found an empty spot to stand by the wall and planted all the kids on the floor at my feet. No sooner had I staked out my wall space than an elderly man slowly got up from his chair and pushed it over to me. I didn't want to argue and I sure didn't want to stand, so I accepted. He leaned over with a smile and said, "Hey, I'm not the one carrying the baby!" I was so grateful. The man who gave me his chair, easily in his '80's, stood the whole time, even though it was hot and stuffy, and even though there were plenty of young people sitting in chairs all around, oblivious to the kind old gentleman whose knees were buckling in the heat. I wondered why none of them offered him their seat like he had offered his. It bothered me that teenagers felt entitled to sit while a less spry man stood.

I think it's because there are societal rules that earlier generations learned that kids don't learn anymore. Older people are always entitled to chairs and the right of way and the respect of people younger that they are. Have we forgotten that? I heard the phrase "Respect your elders" many times as a kid, usually when my dad wanted me to speak up to an adult or to obey a teacher or a grandparent. I say it to my kids, but I worry that they won't see the importance of respecting their elders when there is no value placed on it in society. Any man who sacrifices in order to defer to a pregnant woman deserves the respect of everyone around him. In some cultures, his age alone would earn him the respect he deserves. That's how it should be. When I tried to thank him at the end of the concert, he humbly put a finger to his lips. I'll have to tell Golda that I saw chivalry in action from a true knight. We can learn a lot from those who have logged more years on the planet. We have to remember that it's not the other way around.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a sweet man.

Teenagers have to sit because their legs don't work. It's true! I tease one of my piano students about it every time she drives the six-house distance between us for her lesson, only to drive right back home.

The homestead said...

They are not called the greatest generation for nothing.

Amanda said...

That's so sweet. Yes, that bugs me too about the upcoming generation. When we were teenagers I remember my dad seriously laying into my brother one night because he hadn't held a door open for me, his sister. I hope I can teach my boys a little chivalry, and all of my children to respect their elders!

laurel said...

So glad to hear a nice story. I wish that the generations that are here and coming, wouldn't forget. Our world would be so much better if people would be respectful. Great post!

Michelle said...

So nice. I have to admit to having to think if I have used the phrase "respect your elders" with my kids. Embarrassingly I don't think I have. Will work on that because I want my boys to be gentlemen like the lovely man who saved you!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely true. I guess every generation thinks that teenagers are not respectful but it has become common place in a "me" society. Congratulations to the elderly man who still can be courteous.

love.boxes said...

I agree with The Harkness Family. Almost a whole generation of chivlary and you don't see it as much these days. However, little c fell on a train in SLC a week ago. I was holding baby l and little c fell on the stairs. A very handsome, well spoken 12-13 year old boy came running over to help us and offer us a seat. What grace! What kindness! The mark of a leader... I was so impressed with him and his mother.. whoever she is.

Lisa and Tate said...

Amen!

There is a whole generation that have NO manners. I want to scream when I see an elderly lady standing at a bus stop and a teen guy sprawled on the seat,

Manner-less kids, I tell ya.

Maria said...

Why is this generation like this? I agree that they mostly think that they are entitled to be given everything but is that because of the parents or what?!
Thanks for the reminder as a parent of how and what to teach my children!