Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Marais









The pastries.  Ah, the pastries!  And look how beautifully they're wrapped!  While we were on our trip, I kept thinking of funny things that happened when Scott and I went in '95 and '98.  The honeymoon trip, our drive across the U.S. and two-month backpack trek from Portugal to Turkey, was a good way to REALLY get to know each other.  I came to realize that if we slept on an overnight train, Scott would be cranky the next day and we would get in a fight.  One such fight, we call The Battle of The Bay of Biscay.  We were in San Sebastian, Spain, and had bought a cute little box of pastries.  I wanted Scott to hold it up for a picture and he wouldn't hold it high enough.  All the grizzled fishermen were laughing at Scott as it was for holding a frilly little box of pastries, but I didn't think he looked cute enough.  Why is it that the fights are always the funniest memories?

Anyway, Araceli had no problem posing for countless pastry pictures, looking perfectly adorable in each one!  Here, we were on our way to the Place des Vosges in the Marais when someone spotted an irresistible patisserie window.  There is no "later" when you have ten days in Paris, so we went in.  Pastries are never a bad idea!







 Uh-oh, more ballet poses.  They couldn't help it.  I think they were copying Kenzie's amazing photo shoot.  It's great to have such talented role models!  Thanks, Kenzie!







 I love these girls!

 Besides taking lots of pictures, we visited Victor Hugo's house and learned about how the Place des Vosges used to be the neighborhood reserved for the very rich and well-connected.  Now the area is the new trendy place to be, but I'd still rather be on the Left Bank.
 I love this...Coco keeping Ari from darting into traffic.  A common sight on our trip.







Looks like we went to Notre Dame after Place des Vosges...

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love your last caption, "Looks like we ... "

It also looks like you had the whole of Paris to yourself! What an amazing trip. :)

Taylor Family said...

Will you please stop posting pictures of those pastries unless you have one of those boxes for me. Just kidding it looks like you had so much fun.

Ernstfamilyfun said...

mmmm, I think I am in the mood for a pastrie now.

laurel said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!