Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Stealing Time

When I looked last night at my calendar for today, it was blissfully blank. Since some of my sweet kids are practically grown up, have way too many responsibilities and don't want to endure a conversation with me, let alone an outing, (love ya, G!)
I had to recruit a kid who hasn't yet figured out how uncool I am.  As chaotic and stressful as it is to stay kind while I get everyone out the door in the morning fed, clean and with their practicing, reading and homework done, I miss them when they're gone.  I just couldn't bear to let another beautiful fall day fall victim to the daily grind.  I came up with a plan and chose Freestone as my accomplice.  I let him marinate in the bathtub until Ari and Xanthe had left for school.  When he got out, I felt his forehead and said, "Gee, I think you're too sick to go to school!"  He quickly agreed, "I am!"  He's usually not so agreeable!  He even coughed a little.  So the boys and I went on a brief vacation.
 Starbucks for OJ and a donut and a drive up Sunnyside Ave to the zoo.


It was 100% the right decision.  The universe even said so when it rained all the way to the zoo and then cleared up just as we got there.  I wasn't worried; I knew it would.  Nothing could spoil our stolen day of leisure.  Freestone was full of funny and colorful snipets of wisdom and information.  He said that once, Daddy had taken him to Applebees (he had a coupon!) and the desserts weren't even free and he let Freestone have one.  When I told Scott he said, "I'm either the coolest dad ever or the cheapest."  Coolest, definitely, but possibly the cheapest, too, which is what allows him the resources to be so cool.

Our day of playing hooky wouldn't have been complete without accomplishing something, so Freestone got a haircut.  Since we were already there, we took some pictures in the alley of my two favorite little boys.  They are both so handsome, boyish and smart, and so fun, loving and precious.  I'm so happy that I don't have to imagine life without them, their innocent faces, their growing bodies and their brotherly bond.  Someday they will be fine young men, out in the world on their own, on missions and in college and experiencing life.  They won't think about baby elephants or rhinoceros poop or what tigers eat for lunch.  Those are things we have to consider now before those little legs grow big and carry my boys away to their destinies. 

5 comments:

The homestead said...

What a fun day! I'm so glad the weather cleared up for you.

Michelle said...

Brilliant! You have such god idea!

Nate said...

What a great way to spend a rainy fall day. Stolen days like this make wonderful memories:)

laurel said...

How fun! I am glad you didn't go today! You would have been able to make a snowman.

Kristi said...

That was the right thing to do. Good call.
Lucky, lucky boys!