Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Real DeBrys

The Super Deluxe Extra Large and Awesome DeBry Family had our annual Christmas party yesterday.  It was great.  I loved every minute I got to spend talking to my cousins, aunts and uncles, and trying to place the millions of kids who have grown beyond recognition since last year.  My cousin Mark walked in and one of my kids said, "It's another Trajan!"  She was so excited to think that there might be a double dose of Uncle Trajans at the party!

Speaking of Mark, he told me something I loved.  He said, "There are two Circes; the perfect Circe that gets her Christmas card out early and the real Circe, the one on the blog."  I hope that's true!  I love it!  The "perfect" anyone is a myth.  I only get my Christmas cards out early because it's fun.  It doesn't mean I don't have projects that I've been in the middle of for five years.  (Uncle Mark, that green wall is still half-painted!)  Another example:  I thought the whole house was clean for the party until Mark went to put his baby down in Ptolemy's crib and some kid (Ari?) had piled every blanket and stuffed animal she could find in and around the crib, making a big mess of the room.  Oh well.  I love that the blog can bring you backstage and show you the real thing.  The cynical girl who drives into fire hydrants and leaves children at the dentist office.  The mom who has occasional doubts about pretty much everything and kids who leave a trail of dirty socks everywhere they go.  The scuffles, dust-ups and hazards of everyday life are real for all of us.  It's the good stuff.

Like all the DeBrys, I'm over trying to impress anyone with the Perfect Me.  For the DeBry party, we used to do a theme (Samantha's "Two People Fell in Love"), fabulous invitations, (Marla and Julie's origami) a big program with skits and musical numbers, lots of presents from Santa and each other and a dinner with tablecloths and centerpieces.  I don't think we did all that stuff to impress anyone;  it was just we wanted to do it right and make it special.  Have times changed or have we gotten smarter?  Invitations are by email, the party is at the same time and place every year, the food assignment is based loosely on "bring a salad and a dessert" and we still have a great time.  I think we're still doing it right and making it special, mostly because we love each other.

Here's the real DeBry party in pictures.  The fictional Perfect Circe would have taken more pictures, but the Real Circe kinda forgot...




 Ptolemy and Ruby swept the floor and everyone cleaned their rooms.  This is how the fictional Circe's house looks every day.  No piles of homework, no spilled jam, no wet towels, no stray shoes, no violins being repaired on the kitchen table.
 Christina and Stewart
 James, Gordon, Eleanor, Spencer and Mark.  I rescued them from a video of The Nutcracker and turned on the Utah State game.
 Little Miss Araceli, Santa's helper, handing him the presents and reading the names.

 Kris, Spencer, Marla, Chris, Brooke and Nick
 Marla, who is that?  :)
 Golda and Jessie
 Ptolemy loved sitting on Santa's lap.
 ...but he looks concerned that one of the 50 other kids is going to mug him for his present!


 I missed Xanthe sitting on Santa's lap because I was too busy catching up with people.  I know Santa took care of Xanthe.  He (Uncle Jim) loves Xanthe and always tells her how special she is.  Uncle Jim loves all the kids, which is good because there are so! many! of! them!  When Santa arrived, I thought all the kids were there until we discovered a cache of about 30 more kids in the basement watching the Smurf movie!
 Isabella and Tiffany
 Julia, Lawson and Aunt Rita.  When Paul and Rita arrived a little bit late (with tons of delicious food!), Rita said, "If I ever get into heaven, it will be just as they're closing the gates.  I'll be running up shouting, 'Wait for me!  Wait for me!'"  Rita, God in His infinite wisdom would never try to run the Eternities without you!  Even if you're late, the gates will be open.  :)
 Look at that cute smile.  This kid is growing too fast!

 Scott and Little Scott dressed up to go to a Utah Jazz scrimmage.  Scott took Ruby, Ari and Freestone to the game just as the party was ending.  They got to cheer with their Dopp cousins and probably even caught a glimpse of the downtown lights.
 Golda, Aunt Da, Melinda and Laura being treated to items from Da's new import line of purses and scarves.  She spoiled us!
 Mary, Paul and Mark
Kris, Grace and Felix doing dishes.  Jamison's whole family stayed after and had a lesson from their mom about elbow grease.  They are so cute!  Thanks, guys!  Now we're all set up for the next event!

And that's a perfect gathering of real people!

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Circe,
David here. Thank you so much for the pictures and the report of the party! We are so sorry we missed it. We tried so hard to get out there this year but just couldn't do it.
As a side note, I came to visit your family once while Trajan was on his mission, and Josh was having a party. All his friends kept calling me Trajan and kept asking why I was home early from my mission (they were quite worried). It is tough being as good looking as Trajan :).
Love,
TN DeBrys

Catherine said...

What a wonderful, fun party!

Hey, did anyone take pics of the beautiful hostess? If so, please add. We'd love to see you too!

what a special time with family!!!

The homestead said...

Thank you so much for hosting it Circe! I t was great like always.

Ben and Athena said...

Circe, it looks like it was so much fun. I'm so sad we missed it! My work schedule just wouldn't let me be there this year and I'm so sad. Thank you for doing it each year. You're amazing... and what Mark said was true. We love getting a view into the "real circe" life on your blog. :)

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Circe,
Thanks for posting all the pictures. It makes me feel a little bit more of a part of it. I love being a DeBry and just love our family so much!