Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Paging Dr. Ruby

Ya know how Ruby has been 25 years old since the day she was born?  It just gets worse the older she gets.  I caught her watching Suze Orman on TV...and taking notes.  And in the search history on our computer, I found "UCLA anesthesiology program."  Recently, she was stressing about the fact that she doesn't know what to major in.  In college, when she graduates from it in 2021.  Or 2019, since her plan is to have two years of college done by the time she graduates from high school.

Slow down, kid!  What about 8th grade gym and science lab?  Actually, yeah, I see your point.  The anesthesiology program at UCLA would be way more interesting than gym and probably have smarter boys than junior high, too.

Tonight when Scott and I were doing our nightly ritual of trying to get Ruby to go to bed, Scott said, "Ruby, you need your sleep.  How are you going to run your dental practice AND go to school if you're tired?"  See, earlier today Ruby got a detailed message on her phone about a guy's molar.  She called him back and tried semi-successfully to explain to him that he had the wrong number and she was, "Um, not a dentist office."  "I'm an 8th grader," she told him.  I'm willing to bet that Ruby thought, if just for a split second, about googling "molar pain" and just fixing the guy's tooth herself.  She could have put the money she earned away for med school at UCLA.  I know that's what Suze Orman would have told her to do.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

How funny. I bet she could have fixed his issue had she wanted to do it. This girl is going to go far in life. I know it. We love her to pieces. She is the perfect blend of fun, seriousness, grace, humility, confidence, and joy. Love her! I hope her knee is feeling better. Keep us posted. What a total bummer.

Shane and Kenzie said...

I LOVE this post! Ruby is absolutely darling, and I love how mature she is. She will accomplish great things in life!

Anonymous said...

You have always said Rubs was ahead in years. Love her and her dedication!. She probably will be at UCLA by 11th grade!..or at least taking classes online from there by 10th!.. I have a tooth she can maybe fix for me when I get back to Utah!.. Love her focus!..XO Tricia..she and Golda probably room at UCLA!..both so focused and looks like Ari following in footsteps of big sisters!.