Saturday, October 6, 2012

Playing it by Ear




This afternoon, we had virtually no plans.  The littles and I hung out at the park and listened to Conference while we waited for Golda to finish Nutcracker.  Freestone and Xanthe had a recital coming up at 4:00, so we were talking about what to do to celebrate.  Freestone came up with the idea of Little Caesar's and Root Beer floats.  What a great idea!

At home, getting ready to go, Xanthe played her recital piece about a hundred times, perfectly.  I was worried because she totally buckles under pressure and I knew she could do it so well if she didn't panic!  Freestone, on the other hand, lazily asked me questions such as, "What recital?" and "What am I playing?"  He had no interest in warming up in any way.  For him, from the recital piece to the off-the-cuff pizza idea, he wanted to play the whole afternoon by ear.  I was fine with that.  It was such good weather and the day was so great, I became one of those moms who lets her kids perform in a recital in jeans.  I used to look at those kids in jeans and wonder, "Why would their parents not make them get dressed up?"  Maybe because their kid was like Xanthe, proudly galloping around in her chosen outfit.  Or like Freestone;  I didn't care what he wore, as long as he brought some sort of violin to the event.

As it turned out, Xanthe played Allegro by Suzuki perfectly.  Perfectly!  Just like at home.  No panicking!  That is a big step for her, and I was so proud and happy for her.  Maybe Esmae was her lucky charm, which means she has an automatic invitation to all future recitals.  When it was Freestone's turn, Scott had to nudge him.  He reluctantly sauntered up to the piano and announced his piece, Hunters' Chorus.  The little slacker chose a piece that he learned ages ago so he wouldn't have to work, so his eyes were wandering around the room as he played Hunters' Chorus for the millionth time in his life.  It may have been a smart tactic.  The piece went off without a hitch, and then it was time for the Pizza Party!  Freestone's idea was just what a lazy Saturday afternoon needed.  No thought, no preparation, yet delicious, just like Freestone's Hunters' Chorus, and perfectly executed, just like Xanthe's Allegro.

2 comments:

Nate said...

Yeah for Xanthe! And at least Freestone is a very confident free spirit:)

laurel said...

Congrats to a concert well done! I think I like Freestone's attitude. I need to be more like that. He probably will never have an ulcer! Way to go guys.