Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Remembering Star


Do you see that Schnauzer in the middle of my neighbor's lawn?  So did I.  It was early in the morning one day after our neighbors, whom we really like, had already complained about our dog coming over to their yard.  I went outside and saw Star, getting ready to you-know-what on the neighbors' lawn!!  I called her and she wouldn't come.  That made me mad, so I shouted urgently, trying not to draw attention to myself or the dog.  I was so mad that Star wouldn't respond to me, I started tearing across the street screaming at her.  So much for not drawing attention to myself.  I got halfway across the gravelly road in my socks and realized that "Star" was a granite boulder.  I turned around and went home with my tail between my legs.  Inside, Star was obediently, patiently waiting for me.  I petted her and she was happy.  She didn't know I was dumber than a rock.

I miss Star sometimes, even though it's nice not having a dog.  Whenever I look across the street and see that boulder, I smile.  I remember what a good dog Star was, and I'm glad the neighbors have that rock to remind me of our faithful, furry friend...just without the feeding and walking.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

I know what you mean. Every time I knock on your door I still expect to hear her bark. We miss her. :(

The homestead said...

Such a funny story.

Shane and Kenzie said...

I too have struggles with being a dog owner. But when I think about our cute Dundee not being around, a piece of my heart gets sad! Luckily we still plan on having many years left with him ;)

Queen Elizabeth said...

Love it.

Kristi said...

And here I am, trying my best to see the dog in the photo. "I just see a rock?" Cute post. :)

Michelle said...

In your defense I absolutely thought that was her too in the picture!

laurel said...

I'm sorry, but that is so dang funny. At least you didn't see the rock as a child? It is nice though to have little reminders of those we love. I hate my dog, but I do find myself thinking about him and thinking he is actually smiling at me. So maybe, like you, I like him....just a little

Lexie said...

Ohhhh that made me teary eyed a little:(