Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Good, Solid Weekend


In the midst of our low-key Labor Day weekend, we got a delightful surprise.  My cousin Mark called on Friday to see if they could stay overnight with us on Sunday.  Heck yes!  I was so glad they wanted to come Sunday, because I don't think I would have been able to swing it Saturday night.  Sunday was perfect, though.  I warned Mark and Malinda that I would be of no use to them, with my bandaged foot, but that Scott had everything under control.  They were worried about us having to clean the house, but with Scott in charge, the house was already ready to go.  Scott doesn't allow messiness.  While I was in bed reading, Scott roved the house, picking up items like shoes and empty paper cups, demanding who had the gall to leave these things lying around.  He also turns off lights.  "Who left this light on?!"  He even turned off the light I was using to read and instead flipped on some lamps.  His defense was, "I like mood lighting."  I told him that was fine, but that he would have to take care of me when I go blind.  Scott thinks his OCD might be worse than he thought.  No comment.

Anyway, Scott was able to put all his idiosyncrasies on hold long enough to have fun with Mark, Malinda and 4 of their 5 kids.  The oldest, Makayla, stayed home for middle school and to snatch up all her grandma's attention while the other kids were gone.  Sunday night, the grown-ups stayed up until way past midnight, talking while the kids in the basement organized their own sleepovers.  I highly recommend hosting houseguests while you can't walk, because there was literally nothing I could do to prepare, so I was totally off the hook that way, and it was relaxing!  Jennie had brought us ice cream to help me convalesce, and we used that for ice cream cones while we caught up on each others' lives.

Monday, the DeBrys hit Lagoon and the Dopps hit the pool.  Ari was in babysitting heaven when Mark and Malinda entrusted their 5-month-old to her care.  Porter was a gem all day, with his chubby legs and easy smile.  He kept fixing Scott in his stare, probably to get back at him for calling the little guy "thunder thighs."  But his thighs were so adorably hefty!

The pool was a nice way to end the summer.  I had Golda's friend Tori drop me off at the gate and park the car, so I wouldn't have to walk.  Believe me, I'm wiggling out of every possible duty with this injury!  Scott brought the babies and the babysitter in his car, so I had nothing to carry.  This is the life, I tell ya!

Our last gasp at at the pool was followed by farewells when Mark and Malinda came to claim their baby (boo hoo!) and continue on their journey.  You guys, we are so glad you came!  And to Mark and Malinda, and everyone else, too, YOU ARE WELCOME ANYTIME!!  We love family and friend time!

Monday night, Scott covered both guitar lessons and homecoming dress shopping while I kicked up mu heels and finished another book.  So although we missed out on some things this weekend (the beach and a Dopp trip to the cabin), we made up for it with some good, solid fun and some good, solid relaxation.

 Derek, Free and Jared
 Look at squishable thighs!  Lil Porter
 Mark n Scott
 Ari loves babies.  She "can't wait to have one of her own."  Oh boy!!
 I think Porter was glad he didn't go to Lagoon. :)
 Teens
 Scott and his peeps in the pool
 Emma, Mark, Malinda and - ack! - me.
Girls instantly bonding.  Emma is so sweet!

6 comments:

Ernstfamilyfun said...

I love Mark and Malinda too! Thanks for the pictures and update:)

The homestead said...

Mark and Malinda are the best. We are having a great time with them! I love the picture of porter's chubby thighs.

sws said...

You make everything fun - even your "downtime" is full of friends and family. I hope that toe continues to heal.

Shane and Kenzie said...

Scott went homecoming dress shopping?! Shane would rather DIE. literally.

Ben and Athena said...

How fun! I love to see when our cousins get together! Hope you're feeling better :)

Malinda said...

We had such a great time with you guys!! You forgot to mention that you gave up your OWN ROOM for us!! Our kids loved being with your kids. If you ever need a place to stop when your travels take you out west, look us up!