Saturday, September 21, 2013

Who Plans a Block Party on Game Day?

 So there's an emergency contingency plan in our area, and Scott and I are the block captains for our street.  We are "in charge" of setting up a block party every year, just to go over emergency plans and say hi to our neighbors.  Emily and Josh are the block captains for their street, and we threw in Dustin and Melanie's block too, because why not?  I saw on my calendar that today was the day of the BYU-Utah rivalry game, but I mistakenly assumed it would be earlier in the day, for some reason.  I can't believe we planned this little soiree on game day!  I can't tell you how relieved I was to find out that the whole shebang would be wrapped up before kickoff.  Can you imagine getting an invite to some lame block party during the biggest game of the year!?
 I mean, you can see how out-of-control this rivalry can get!  Here is our neighbor Beth, trying to throw Freestone across the room, just for wearing the wrong color jersey.
 And that was before she got really violent!
 I'm glad we had treats in both team colors, to placate fans of every stripe.
 I don't know what you do about Aggie fans, though.  You just shake your head.
This is my beautiful neighbor, Donna Steed.  When I was a little girl, she was one of my church leaders.  She would invite a whole group of us girls over to her house to do thrilling and exciting craft projects.  She was my hero, along with her husband, Larry.  "Brother Steed" has been giving me books to read ever since I was in 4th grade.  The first one was Trumpet of the Swan.  Most recently, it was the history of South Africa, after we had a discussion about Cry, the Beloved Country.

 And here is Brother Steed with another amazing neighbor, Ann Gammon.  I should have taken more pictures, but I always feel self-conscious interrupting the conversation for pictures.  I wish I had, though; these are the people who have shaped me as a person.
And what a person I've become, judging by this picture!  Who manages to look this drunk, stone-cold sober?  Admittedly, I had consumed about two dozen cookies, brownies and dessert sushis by this time.  Emily always looks good.
We got all the Cougar fans out of our house by the time the game started, and it's a good thing.  The neighbors were quickly replaced by a dozen of Ari and Freestone's friends who came over to play night games.  They weren't the least bit cognizant of Scott ranting about the game from his home theater in the basement.  I hear the Utes are up, but these games always contain some twists and turns.

DeBrys, I know Nana's birthday party tomorrow is going to be rough for roughly half of us.  Which half, I don't know, but I do have lots of chocolate.  Losers get first dibs!