Friday, September 27, 2013

Wild and Precious Life


Yesterday's Davis Homecoming Parade.  We had to book it on homework and practicing to make it to the parade, but it was worth it.  Pounds and pounds of candy!

And we got to see Dance Company ride by and throw the candy that Ptolemy thought was his, since he picked it out at the store.  Sad!
Taffy overload!  Can't stop laughing.
There's Mrs. Storey on the alumni float.  She was my AP English teacher.   I adore her.




Whose idea was it to have teenagers and babies at the same time?

Oh yeah.  Mine.

This morning, I looked at my "list" and I knew the day was going to get away from me. I have only a vague recollection of this morning, driving Golda to school in the dark, getting the middle batch out the door, taking the babies to say good-bye to Coco and rummage through her stuff looking for the perfect shoes and bolero jacket for Golda.  No luck!

I remember picking up Ruby and Taylor at seminary and dropping them off at school, something at the violin shop, food, stores, other stores, KSL searches, meetings in parking lots to exchange money for merchandise, the goodness of strangers, texts from Scott who went to the stores I missed, a five-dollar corn dog and...

Sure, it might not be ideal to be driving around on Homecoming-related quests with two baby-like people in the car, but call it a movie day, put them in their snuggly pajamas, and they're happy.  Cute, too, with those blanket pajamas.  In the rearview mirror, I saw Ptolemy pat Tziporah and say, "I love you, Tizzy."  She looked out her "winnow" and said nonchalantly, "I wuv woo."  Melt my heart!

Phase two of my Friday was taking most of the people who help me keep my head above water to the airport.  They left me!  My parents and Josh and Emily left me and went to Paris!  Boo hoo!  I went home, finished a double batch of gingerbread cookies, made royal icing, drove people places, cleaned the house, cracked the whip, got the Homecoming/Dance Company tailgate party crowd out the door, and packed my little movie watchers in the car to accompany Ruby to group guitar.  I was sad to miss out on the festivities at the high school, but it was nice to have the luxury of the drive and an hour to visit my friend Nor and marvel at the sunset.

In fact, I marveled all day long.  As I drove around, I kept looking at the gorgeous mountains and the rich, dense clouds and thinking how fortunate I was to be at home in such a deeply beautiful place.  As long as I live here, I'll never be able to fully take in the opulence of the mountains.  They change every day, and I get to inhale their splendor.  I get to partake.  And against this implausibly majestic backdrop, I get to live the life that I always dreamed of.  Except it's better than I even knew it would be.  The mountains are a metaphor for my life; always rich, always changing, and as abundant ans effulgent as I can wrap my arms around, and then some.

Babies and teenagers, all at the same time?  Yes.  Please.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”  - Mary Oliver, New and Selected Poems

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From babies to teenagers keeps it interesting and enjoying the best of both worlds still. Those babies will keep you young! Loved the post and the pictures. Enjoy every minute, as you are, and savoring it, it all goes too fast! Thanks for a great post. xo Tricia

michelle said...

I love that Mrs. Storey was on the float! You know she is partially responsible for our family. She put William and I on a committee for something I don't remember when we were seniors. Look at us now! This is the time of year I really miss having my kids be Darts. Go Davis!

Taylor Family said...

What a fun day. Make sure and take pictures of the big Homecoming Dance. I bet she will look gorgeous!.

The homestead said...

You handle your busy life like a champ! Love the story of Tizzy and Ptolemy!

sws said...

you made me teary eyed again - I feel the same way about life and the mountains and my friend up the road. I love all the DHS sweatshirts and Mrs. Storey? - it seems like yesterday we were throwing out that candy.