Sunday, September 29, 2013

"...Blossoming Even as We Gaze"









 Scott almost started crying while giving a very abbreviated version of a speech he had prepared for 16 years, especially for this occasion.  Evyn had to look away.
 Last night was Homecoming.  Golda's first date, and her first dance.  Scott and I may have become a little too invested in the whole thing.  We (and Coco) spent a ton of time shopping, thinking, sewing, planning, getting everything ready for the big day.  Then it came, everything finally fell into place, Evyn came to pick her up, and Golda was gone.

Scott and I looked at each other and one of us said, "Was that a little anti-climatic?"  Not so much so that I didn't proceed to post pictures on Instagram with tear-jerker excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof!  Golda and Evyn just looked so cute.  What could I do?

Today at church, a friend of mine whose children are all graduated came up to me and said conspiratorially, "You know what I didn't miss yesterday?  Getting a daughter ready for a dance!"  She told me how her daughter would always go get her hair done, and then hate it and come home and re-do it.  I was relieved and grateful that she confided her experiences.  I told her, "I wish I had known it was going to be so stressful!"  I was picturing something slightly more endearing than rushing around for 3 days (read: weeks) to prepare for something that ultimately left me in the dust, consoling a dad with tears in his eyes who had followed his daughter all the way to the car, taking pictures.

Well, that's life, isn't it?  That scene from Father of the Bride all over again.  Until she gets in a car with rice in her hair and leaves for good.  For now, I'll take Homecoming.



7 comments:

Jennie said...

What great pictures. Everything turned out. I'm glad you found something you liked. Golda and Evyn looked fantastic. Golda, I loved all the details of the date on your blog. What a fun night. Now... on to the next thing. Who are you going to ask to Halloween and what about the costumes? The fun never stops. :)

Cricket said...

Golda is so beautiful, inside and out. Matt and I loved her dress. Beautiful, grown up and classic. We have be seeing a few photos of girls who have chosen dresses that I know make them feel older, but are lacking in something. (Usually, a few inches of material in one direction or another).

I am in love with her necklace! I hope she had a wondeful time!

michelle said...

This is why I love having you go first as our girls get older! She looks so beautiful!

The homestead said...

She looked beautiful! It is totally anticlimactic. They get ready and you get left at home. The worst part for me is waiting up. I'm always so tired and the report from a boy is "It was fun. Well, I'm going to bed." I waited up for that? Hope you get a better report than I do.

The homestead said...

Next time I'd love to see Scott wear the red long johns to meet the date! It might be a better ice breaker.

Anonymous said...

Golda was beautiful, and her date looked very handsome and cute. Just the beginning! of many more dates and dances which I am sure will turn out just as perfect as this one, the right dress, the right hair, the fun and the excitement of Golda, you and Scott scurrying around to make everything ok..it is so fun, enjoy the moments, sooner than you think, they will be a memory. But, thank goodness you will have the pictures and memories to recall all of the events. Golda looked picture perfect! Head to toe! xo Tricia

Queen Elizabeth said...

I'd love to know what Scott's speech included. ;)