Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Carpentry




I was in the mood today for an artistic medium a little more meaty than sugar and flour. I traded away all my little girls in exchange for little boys who love to paint and hammer. Even with three-year-olds wielding hammers, the only person in the group who hammered a thumb was me. These little guys were quite adept at the whole thing, especially making designs with elastics once all the nails were in.

One of my clearest memories of being a kid is hammering nails into a tree stump. I'm guessing it was at Aunt Elmeda's house, and any kid who wanted to could hammer a nail into the tree stump. That was an amazing opportunity, one that never came along at home! I still think the tree stump with the nearby supply of nails and hammers was awesome. The boys I collected for my project today, Free, Henry, Matthew and two Joshies, did not disappoint me with their level of enthusiasm. They saw tho whole thing through, from laying out grids to painting to hammering and making rubber band designs. While we pounded away, all the lucky little girls got to decorate gingerbread houses, an SWS specialty. Thanks, Sarah!

Matthew told me that he's asking for lots and lots of duct tape and some good scissors for Christmas. I like it! We might have to have another boys' day.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You saved me in so many ways today! My boys had such a good time. On the way home Josh said he wanted to come play at your house some more. And that boy of mine has a serious tape addiction. I went downstairs today and my seldom-used exercise ball was sporting a duct tape smiley face. Thanks again for creating a great memory for my kids, you are the best!

Anonymous said...

You are so very creative!

David said...

That does look fun--I'll have to remember that for my kids. Happy Thanksgiving!

The homestead said...

What a great idea. I'll have to try it sometime.

love.boxes said...

A boys day is a fun one to have.. even I enjoy a fun boys day occasionally with the nephews.. they are just so much fun.