Friday, November 20, 2009

Lost in Translation


We're having a little trouble with the language barrier around here. Araceli doesn't speak Grown-Up and I don't Speak Eight-Year-Old. I said, in Grown-Up, "Ari, it's 8:00. Go get your cello out and get started on the C string exercises." Ari thought I said, "Ari, it's 8:00. Get a big block of cheese out, cut it into squares and decorate it with sprinkles and Cheerios so it looks like a delicious plate of Petit-Fours."

Then I said, in my language, "Make sure you have your homework in your backpack, then get your shoes and sock on and go to school. Bye! Have fun! Study hard!" From what I can tell, Ari heard "Go in your room, get out a box of 5,000 beads and start mass producing bracelets for all your friends. Make sure you don't put any of it away!"

I don't know where she learned this behavior. I do know that I told myself this morning, "You have to get the house cleaned up before you leave." Then I posted this blog instead.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Ari! What beautiful cheese squares. I loved the cheerio on top. It definitely gives it an extra little somethin' somethin'. :)

Circ - I can hardly blame Ari for wanting to make creations with those beads. When she opened the present at Grandma's house I gasped a little at the size of the box. It is SO inviting. The first thing I thought of besides, "I want to make something" is, "Circ is going to have a heck of a time keeping those picked up." :)

The homestead said...

That plate of cheese looks very festive.

Michelle said...

And you must have gotten it from hanging around me! Absolutely behavior I would exhibit! YOu are so right, there is definitely a language barrier around here too.

sws said...

such a funny post! Keep writing! It makes my day.