Sunday, November 22, 2009

We Interrupt This Family for...Nutcracker


"We interrupt this family for Nutcracker" was the inscription on one of the plaques in the Nutcracker boutique, and it made me laugh. Life was completely interrupted by Nutcracker this week, and it was wonderful! Ptolemy, who cries when I leave him at home, was privy to the whole Nutcracker experience from the comfort of my arms and the arms of all the ballet moms who vied for his affection. He's fussy now that it's over and he doesn't have the music and warm dressing rooms and little girls' chatter to lull him to sleep at night. He doesn't know when it's time for his Act Two nap! Maybe he even misses his little buddy, Camden, the other Nutcracker baby!

One of my little dancers gave me a note that said, "Thank you for teaching me the dance. If you didn't teach me the dance I would be wondering what to do onstage." Well, thank heavens that didn't happen! My Chinese dancers sparkled and shone. With their bobbing heads, quick feet and big, gold fans, not one of them looked like they were wondering what to do onstage! I was lucky enough to see Golda's Arabian dance and Ruby's Candy Cane dance from the wings every night. Again, no "wondering!" They were beautiful. Of all the moments life is made up of, those backstage glimpses are some that I hold most dear.

Just like every little girl can't be Clara, every week can't be Nutcracker Week. Just one week out of fifty-two is so laden with sugarplums and candy canes, and though it's sad to say goodbye to such sweetness, it helps us enjoy the turkey and stuffing even more.

3 comments:

Taylor Family said...

Golda looks so grown up and beautiful. I am so proud of them. I heard they did a great job.

Jennie said...

They were wonderful! I'm so glad we were able to go! Ruby's tears were priceless. She is such a tender heart and we love all the kids so much. Thanks for letting J & C come to make cookies. They loved it and were a great pre-church treat. :)

C and MC said...

Nutcracker babies for life! I wish I always had a hall full of experienced loving chaperone women on hand to hold, change, rock, and lull Camden. Thank you for the bag of clothes too, he is wearing one of the outfits right now. Back to real life . . . :(.