Thursday, July 7, 2011

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Being a grown-up is hard work!  Sheesh!  Remember when summer was fun?  When you wandered around in the woods, dug in the dirt, swam until you got hungry?  At the first hunger pang, someone would provide you with a nice, plump hot dog or a diagonally cut tuna sandwich, along with an ice-cold drink.  And the naps!  Oh, the naps!  Cool sheets, humming air conditioners.  You didn't know then that you were experiencing bliss.

Now I know that someone has to plump those hot dogs and cut those sandwiches and bring the towels and sunscreen and keep track of everyone, and naps?  Forget it.  (Although I did lie down for three seconds today before Ptolemy toddled in and smashed a 4th of July cupcake on my leg.)  Today, my good friend brought over a giant heap of money for Golda and Ruby in exchange for babysitting her kids while she was at girls' camp.  We talked about how crazy summer has been.  I want to say I'm relaxing, but honestly, it's been intense.  We laughed because, in the frenzy of leaving her kids for two days, Jen's only instruction for Ruby was, "Isaac takes a two-hour nap."  Nothing about the other three kids.  There was no time!  And then she was out the door.   Now she's back and both of us are buying and cutting up watermelons, packing coolers, making salads, washing sleeping bags, keeping kids happy, just trying to get a day or two ahead.  Tonight I barbequed for 25 of Golda and Ruby's friends who are still here, and after this, I have to buy ice and four birthday presents for tomorrow's 7am boating excursion.  We all have to be packed for girls' camp by Saturday, and the bishop just called and asked Golda to give a talk in Sacrament meeting on Sunday.

So I said to my friend today, "Jen, are we having fun?"

My friend was brave.  She said, "No!  We're not!"  There.  Somebody said it.  Sure, barbeques and parties and camp and all those outings are what summer is about, and it's fun.  It's just that we wish, for a little while, that we could hand back all the stupid responsibilities to the grown-ups and go catch tadpoles while they pack the coolers.

I want my mommy!  And I want my tuna sandwich cut in triangles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Nobody tells you motherhood is such a HUGE responsibilty- I think my mom pulled it off with such ease I had no idea until I had my own kids. Wouldn't it be fun if we could go back to our childhood a few days every year-like a vacation?

Emily said...

Yes & I want my childhood vacations back too!! I grew up going on at least 3 vacations a year, the beach, the desert, the mountains, repeat. I am blaming my sense of vacation entitlement on my parents, secretly....

Jenny said...

Sorry you're so stressed. Summer has always been my favorite time of year. While it is work, I still savor every sweet minute of it. I love the freedom to make each day what we want and do so many fun activities. Summer is the one part of the year I feel so guilty being able to stay home with the kids while Jer has to go to the office. Send a few kids my way and take a break. ;0)

Michelle said...

So count on me bringing the tuna sandwiches on Friday. I sure hope it happens, I know we all need it!

Julia said...

I love the thought process! You are so right! It takes so much effort, and mess to have "fun" these day when you are the one providing the fun! I know it is horrible and I LOVE right now, but we were just in Cooke City for the 4th and there was an older couple "just cuddling" during the fireworks. My thought was, "I am so excited for that someday". And this was while I was holding my two babies, and Terry was holding a kid so they could see the fireworks and this was at 10pm when everyone was ready for bed. I did get pictures so that when the day comes that I can "just cuddle" I can look back and say, "I wish I could go back. Our kids should never have grown up, we used to have so much fun". Love you Circe. Julia