Saturday, July 23, 2011

Man Up and Eat the Relish

I'm not going to apologize.  I love the Tiger Mom.  I loved the irony, humor, introspection, the brazen pride along with the self-doubt in her book.  I love the intentionally shocking anecdotes and the outcry they provoked.  Can you say "marketing genius?"   And I love the Chinese philosophy.  The more I read Chua's daughter's blog, the more enamored I am of the whole family.  I've known lots and lots of Asian Americans raised the same way and they're grateful for it.  In fact, I don't know anyone who has ever talked about how strict their parents were without a note of pride in their voices, whether they were raised on a farm in rural Utah or in downtown Belgrade.  (Hi Zeljko!)  I could go on, but read this story from Sophia's blog and tell me it's not exactly why kids feel so entitled.   Plus, it's funny.

Today, Freestone said to me, "I've never won a race."  Instinctively, I was about to say, "You're still number one, Free.  You're still a winner!"  But then I caught myself and said, "You could train every day and run a race, and you might win.  That would be fun!"  You can't tell kids to feel like winners.  As much as we parents want to give our children everything, accomplishment is a feeling that has to be earned.

3 comments:

The Mink Family said...

Oh Circe! I agree! I have been reading Sophia's blog for a few months now... so interesting!

sws said...

Great story...brought back some Lamb's memories...the best is the "glugging" wine all over the guest and the tablecloth! I forget to read her blog, thanks for reminding me.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, yeah, count me as one of the readers too initially shocked to recognize the satire. I admit it. A response safer than jealousy, perhaps? After all, Chua yelling at her kids to finish arpeggios is a dream-world away from the yelling I have to do now just to jolt my kids into picking up their underwear.

The sparkling, articulate and utterly human Sophia -- at least what she shows in her blog -- validates Chua ten-fold. I'm so glad you have her blog on your list, so I can see when she has a new post!