Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Comfort Food


Is it the overcast weather?  Is it the post-holiday quiet?  The mounds of post-holiday chores that are piled up?  Whatever it is, I am craving comfort foods.  I bought my favorite bread, Jack Spratt's.  It's the best toast there is.  It's crunchy and it holds up to lots of butter.  This is the bread my parents bought when I was growing up.  Fat free, organic, locally baked from sprouted wheat and delicious.  Not good with 100% natural peanut butter, though, unless you're trying to glue your mouth closed.  I'm also sipping cranberry juice and it tastes just like it did when it came from my grandmother's fridge on a hot summer day 30 years ago.

Every cloudy day makes me want to pack a crock pot with something savory and enjoy as the house fills with promising aromas, even if it is 80 degrees and muggy.  I hope whatever I put in there tastes as good as it smells when everyone gathers home from being out in the world.  It's this time of year, too, when I start mulling over our fall schedule.  It will have to run like clockwork to get homework, practicing, all of our various responsibilities and commitments accomplished.  We'll want our family time to be peaceful and plentiful, and that can only happen if our house is in order.  So the planning starts now, accompanied by a few slices of Jack Spratt's with butter.

What are your plans?
What are your comfort foods?

3 comments:

Jennie said...

One guess.... YOGO. :) I need one today too. The kids are in a firework hangover. We are going to dinner tonight and then everyone is getting bathed and put to bed. I only wish my caloric intake could handle a yogo today. Sadly, I ate WAY too many cookie bars and spoonfuls of carmel corn at Grandma's house yesterday. :)

laurel said...

Yum.

love.boxes said...

I think those potatoes and onions would do it :)