Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Seize the Day


 Rockefeller Center
 St. Patrick's Cathedral

 Uniqlo, our new favorite shopping experience.
 The Plaza
 Scott and I are so lucky to have these two beautiful girls.  I clearly remember the moment I found out I was expecting Ruby.  I gasped and then looked at Golda, my ten-month-old baby.  She giggled.  I laughed.  I can't believe they grew so quickly from delightful little babes in matching, smocked dresses to these fun, exciting people who can appreciate big cities, museums, Broadway shows, good food...all the things Scott and I have trained them to enjoy.  It was fun to see them take in all the sights, sounds and definitely the smells of New York!

 This could be Golda in a few years, only without her parents following behind taking pictures.

 And Ruby...she could live in NYC on her own right now and be just fine.  Is that scary?!


 We took these two pictures at the lunch restaurant, Bouloud Sud, because of the ladies seated behind Ruby.  They were delightful.  A person could not be more Upper East Side than these ladies.  Probably in their '80's, they dined with the easy elegance and panache of someone with absolutely nothing to prove.  They had an aura about them that screamed Vanderbilt or Carnegie, but with a relaxed, happy vibe.  I wanted to stare at them all day.
 We took advantage of the Free Friday Night at the Museum of Modern Art.  This Picasso was one of my faves.
 Edvard Munch
 By far the most popular painting in the place.

 Georges Braque
 Les Demoiselles d'Avignon..Picasso's infamous, shocking painting.
And Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth.  I don't think it's fair that we don't know the story behind this image.  Is there a story?  Why is she in the field?  Why is she looking at the house?  What is her facial expression?  I guess that is what makes the painting so compelling, that we don't know the story.  I always get a deep sense of despair and foreboding from this painting.







We knew Newsies would be good.  We just didn't know how good.  The dancing was over the top.  I've never seen so many leaps and turns in one place!  And they were all brilliantly executed by a cast of handsome boys.  Scott asked Golda, "So, are any of these boys cute?"  She said, "Uh, yeah, ALL of them!"  After the show, the cast came outside to sign autographs.  We recognized quite a few cast members from their stints on So You Think You Can Dance.  I stood next to one of the stage moms after the show.  Her son, the dark-haired one in one of the above pictures, was 17.  She had moved to New York with him so he could be in Newsies, while her husband stayed back in San Antonio with their daughter, who was finishing high school and preparing to go to NYU.  These kids are like Olympic athletes in terms of what their families sacrifice to fulfill their dreams and take advantage of opportunities that they have paid dearly for, not only in dollars, but in dedication.  It is admirable, and I know Golda wishes we were the kind of family that could do that.  For now, we'll have to be happy with being on the audience side of things, getting autographs and hogging up pizza slices and garlic balls after the show.  I'm all for Golda following her dreams.  For me, I'm already living mine.  I seized my day and someday Golda will seize hers.  Watch out, world!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Gosh, it's really sad that you guys never go anywhere or do anything fun. sigh.

Okay, seriously... NYC!! With Golda and Rugy! Could you die?! I can't even stand how magical that is. Looks like you did it right, and managed to squeeze a million fun things into your trip. I hope you ate roasted nuts from a street vendor, even if they didn't make the food montage. NYC is definitely your kind of town. Love the old women at the restaurant... I would have stared too. Congrats on making that happen. You are so amazing that way!

Shane and Kenzie said...

NEWSIES?! You really got to see NEWSIES?! That had to have been one amazing show...I'm sure that Golda, Ruby, You, and I can agree that sitting through those broadway shows sure is exciting, but completely torturous at the same time! Every time I watch one I feel myself dancing in my pants...if only I could run up onto the stage and BE with THEM! :)
So glad you had such an amazing time!