Friday, August 10, 2012

Mud Bog




I think the slip 'n' slide has lost its allure.  The kids tired of it today and moved on to their next idea, which just happened to be building a mud bog in the field.  It took six kids, ten kitchen spoons, three hours and a shovel, and the mud bog was complete.  All the little mud hens basked in the mud for hours before allowing the slip 'n' slide to wash away all the dirt.  I'm sure their skin has a healthy glow about it today.

Before I had kids, a swarm of little people who resembled poorly constructed mud pies would have probably made my hair stand on end.  Now my reaction is, "Fun!!  Need more water?"  I remember another ballet teacher who didn't have kids telling me, her eyes bulging with horror, that a student had had an accident on the floor!  I think my response was, "And?" 

That's literally nothing ten seconds and a whole roll of paper towels swiftly dispatched can't fix, and before anyone is the wiser.  Vomit, diarrhea, pureed peaches...these are the reasons we have water.  Has there ever been a mess that couldn't be washed away?  Not in my experience.  (Insert object lesson on the Atonement here, if you are so inclined.)

If you are looking for a good, grubby, squishy way to get six chapters of your highly entertaining novel read with no interruptions, just throw the kids some shovels, spoons and a hose.  I promise, they will take care of the rest.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Ari's pictures are killing me!! Thanks for having them all day, they had a ball!

Taylor Family said...

Now that looks like fun!!! Did you ever figure out where you were supposed to be at 4 yesterday?

sws said...

I saw the beginning stages of this...Ari said they were building a pool and I thought, "Circe is such a fun mom." Thanks for giving this lesson a bit of a church bend. You crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Kids can think up the funnest games!..way to go letting them be free to this experience a mud slide!...Alex and Lincoln stayed last night and I showed them, and they thought it looked sooooo fun!.Looks like Ari really had fun!..Xo Tricia