Monday, August 13, 2012

Tierra del Fuego?


I found myself in the car alone, after dropping off Golda and Ruby at dance.  I was chewing gum but, seeing my window for completing a thought, I spit the gum out.  I didn't want anything to distract me in case I had a moment of clarity.  See, I'm having trouble distinguishing between "not procrastinating anymore" and "making rash decisions."

This time of year is made for changes.  In the fall, everything is new and bright and exciting.  So naturally, I want to quit everything and start some new projects.  I'm giving my kids away and getting a whole new batch, a group of them who are eager to try jujitsu and bagpipes.  You know, things I haven't done yet.  Does that seem rash?  Can you see why I'm having issues with decision-making?  Because I am just lucid enough to realize I am a loose cannon.  It's due partly to being on the receiving end of conversations that start out "If I could have any Skylander in the world..." and end, well, never.  These conversations don't end.  Everyone just keeps rambling indefinitely, making my brain feel like it belongs to a crack-addicted espresso junkie.

What happens when I spit out my gum and try to think is:  "I just want to jump in the car and go to Mexico.  No, drive to Tierra del Fuego.  Take four or five months.  I could totally home school.  I'll text myself a note to look into kidnapping insurance.  Scott would have to stay here and earn money, but that's OK.  It's not like it's a big deal to drive seven kids the length of South America while teaching six different curriculums, by myself, compared to all the carpools I'm about to set up.  Oh, but then we would miss ballet.  A lot.  And Nutcracker!  Hoo boy.  We can't miss that.   And Mr. Marsden is such a good teacher, I can't lose Ari's spot with him, and she loves Marisa so much so we can't quit her!  And Freestone is doing so well on violin!  And Mr. Johnson is so perfect for Ruby.  OK, so we'll keep all the dance classes and all the music classes and I'll keep teaching and what did I decide about Xanthe and tumbling?  I'm going to sign her up.  And I'll have to ask her about swim team.  And find an art class for Ari.  She is so gifted.  Aaggh!  I just want to gather up the family and leave.  Drive to Tierra del Fuego.  Ooh, deja vu."

OK, new plan.  I'll surround myself with all seven of my original kids, 24 hours a day until I'm just semi-coherent, which shouldn't take long.  In fact, that part of the plan might already be in place.  Then Scott can put us all on a plane and fly us to Argentina, where we can run barefoot on the beach, growing dreadlocks and talking about Skylanders.  That way, I won't need to think.  I love these beautiful children until my heart aches.  It's just trying to do seven kids AND reality at the same time, that's absurd.  Can't be done.  I think we'd have a better shot at success living in a tropical hut and scrapping the whole public school thing.  I'm going to call Delta.


7 comments:

laurel said...

I can't do four kids...only 3 at home. Hats off to you! Can I go with you to Argentina?

Jennie said...

I can totally relate and I only have four kids. :) But... I've decided one thing. I need to hire a Scott, Bill and Cocoa. I need more drivers. :) I'm looking at our fall schedule and there are days where I'm not sure how it is going to happen. :) But, we love it, right? :) This is all I ever wanted - for real. Love ya.

Shane and Kenzie said...

I am struggling with the thought of doing everything with just one baby...and so much of the time I think to myself "circe is doing it with seven...I'm sure I can handle one!" I love how you thrive off of trying new things and seeking for adventure. I love that you enjoy being a mother, even if it means that there are a few (maybe a lot) things you need to give up.

Michelle said...

Take us with you!

Anonymous said...

Love the way you think and dream up new things all the time!...sounds exciting driving to South America, but you could just drive to Hollywood and the beach is right here, I am sure all of us could fit in my condo!..and the beach is right out my window!!...I love how you can keep your sense of humor! in writing and thinking. XO Tricia..You are a wonder to accomplish all you do!..

Marilyn said...

We'll come too!

Unknown said...

Not to tempt you, but there is a spare room in the maid's quarters in Brazil. I'm not sure I would drive there but you are always welcome. If we ever get there.