Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Lesson from Mark Twain

Since you're all curious, I'll just tell you what the comment was.  In regards to the beautiful newborn baby who has Downs, Anon complained about our immigration system.  And then, without a hint of irony, Anon admonished the birth mother to "show some responsibility."  The birth mother is a woman who traveled pregnant to a foreign country to literally save her child's life.  What would have been a more responsible choice?  Abortion?  Infanticide?  Paying the crippling second-child fees only to face a lifetime of isolation?  This is a woman who saved her son's life a SECOND time by returning home with empty arms.  I have a hard time imagining more responsibility being heaped on one person, not to mention the heartbreak.  So for a person who wasn't even willing to take responsibility for their own opinion to criticize this woman's courage, it raised my hackles.

That being said, let's all move on.  I'm bound to say something dumb at any time. My dad is full of good quotes, but his best and most enduring is, "Didn't mean to sound cross."  Didn't mean to sound cross, Anon.  Remember what Mark Twain said:  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.  A lesson I certainly re-learn over and over!


2 comments:

laurel said...

:-)

The homestead said...

When I read about that sweet mother and the sacrifice she made for her child I was brought to tears. She has given her all for this child. What a selfless act. I only wish that we had been in a position to adopt that baby ourselves because that baby comes from incredible birth parents.