Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oh, the Drama

Golda planned a drama camp for the two last days of the MLK weekend. She was excited. She loves to work with kids and to teach, and she loves anything to do with the stage.  She had a lot of fun activities planned for the kids, but she got sick the night before.  She just happened to be at the Rose Parade when the rest of the family had the plague, so we thought she had dodged a bullet.  Well, the bullet found her, and she fell hard.

It was just too complicated to cancel drama camp, and I hate to be a flake, so Ruby, Ari and I filled in.  the only problem was, we hadn't thought about what to do with all those kids and Golda was too out of it to impart any of her wisdom to us.  I was stressed, but we improvised.   I have to admit, I ended up having way too much fun.  20 kids sprawled all over the house being creative?  Right up my alley.  The kids broke into groups and read scripts, made scenery and "costumes" and learned about all the fun things that happen backstage during a performance.

Golda felt much better the second day, but kept her distance from the kids.  Even so, she was a big help.  At the end, the three groups performed their masterpieces, which were anything but.  It just goes to show you, the joy is in the journey, not the destination.  I just hope the kids had as much fun as I did!




Designing sets








Mack and Morgan were a big hit.  Everyone was in stitches when they got their charade assignments and immediately started discussing with each other what they were supposed to act out.  "I'm a frog!  I'm a frog!"





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sad we missed it. I was planning on sending Kate, but we too got hit with some nasty bugs. Looked great and fun!
Julie

Cricket said...

Lily cried all the way home. She was so upset we had to leave and wanted to go back. She wouldn't speak to me the whole ride home because I was mean.

Lily had so much fun and cannot wait for ballet camp! I hope that they decide to do it again this summer.

Please tell Golda we hope she is feeling better.

Catherine said...

So sorry to hear about Golda. Yuck!

Way to go Mom and Sissy's! You saved Drama Camp!

Looks like tons of fun!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Circe, Ruby and Ari for stepping up to the plate to save the day..looks and sounds like it was a hit with everyone. Sorry Golda was sick, hope she is feeling better. xo Tricia

The homestead said...

I'm so sorry Golda was sick! I cannot believe that you guys carried on without her. You guys are incredible!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Fun!

Maria said...

Thanks so much! The kids loved it and had a blast! You guys are so much fun!

laurel said...

Seriously? Are you kidding me woman.....let me make that Wonder Woman. Man. You are my hero.

I hope Golda gets better too!