Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rivers


Xanthe's enthusiasm is evident.
 Xanthe is nearing the end of Suzuki Book One in piano.  I never thought this day would come, and I'm not sure why we have kept at it, except that Sarah kept saying, "At least you haven't quit."  The only way to really ensure failure is to quit, so I kept thinking that as long as Xanthe was still practicing every day, we were still winning.  There have been times (almost every day) when it didn't feel like we were winning.  It took Xanthe a good, solid year to be able to tell the difference between Middle C and the D next to it on the staff.  It's been harrowing for her to learn concepts like "up and down" and "higher and lower."  Spatial relations are very difficult for X, whether it's time, space or directions.  You would be incredulous if you knew how long it has taken us to get the concept of "yesterday" having already happened, as opposed to tomorrow.  Just yesterday, Xanthe said, "So the party is tomorrow, but it's at night tomorrow."  "Tomorrow night," not something that has connected yet.  So to learn abstract concepts in relationship to a piano keyboard is a challenge!

There were dozens of lessons where little Xanthe would be asked to play something she had played by herself at home a hundred times.  She would flop her hands limply on the piano and give her teacher this sad, pathetic look.  Then the teacher would guide her fingers through it AGAIN.  It was just like swimming lessons!  (You have to read this.  It's so funny.)

But one centipede step at a time, Xanthe has improved.  Once she has a piece, she can forget it completely under pressure (pressure like me asking her to practice it), or she can play it perfectly over and over.  As much as Xanthe can buckle when something is too hard, she also will play the piano for an hour by herself if she's left alone.  That's a lot of repetition when the songs you know are 45 seconds long!  I am so glad we didn't quit.  (Don't quote me on that if we quit next week.)  I didn't know at the beginning how valuable the concepts would be to Xanthe, or how difficult.  She started piano because Bill said Xanthe might be a musical genius and why wasn't she in piano lessons.  That's all it took.  Trajan lent us his beautiful grand piano and we were off on an adventure.  I can't play the piano, so it is really hard for me to practice with Xanthe.  A lot of times it's like, "Here, play it like this.  No wait.  Umm....what is that note...?Maybe it's like this..."  I am radically inept.  So I think it's miraculous that Xanthe can play these simple songs.  I am proud of her.  This video shows how great she is, and also, on the second song, how stressed she gets if she is unsure.  The ending is the easiest part, but she made a mistake, so she shut down.  That is a problem that Xanthe is getting better at every day, in school and at home.

Since things are going smoothly, Santa Claus thought he would throw a wrench in it by giving Xanthe a flute for Christmas.  I am really excited (of course I am, you know me) to have Xanthe play an instrument that only has one melodic line happening at a time, and that doesn't depend so much on visually knowing where the notes are, like on the keyboard.  The flute is played on the side of Xanthe's good eye, although Golda says that you don't look at it when you play.  Golda is going to be Xanthe's teacher.  A great idea on so many levels.  The two girls get to spend time together, I get to pay Golda and Golda's teacher will mentor her on teaching.  Invaluable!  I talked to Golda's teacher Tuesday and she told me about a little girl she taught who was adopted from Russia at age one.  This girl got off to a slow start academically, just like Xanthe, but she ended up being an honor student and winning all kinds of flute awards.  This is another reason for Xanthe to play the flute.  Eventually, she will move from Golda to Cindy Henderson, our flute teacher, and Cindy gets where Xanthe is coming from.  Furthermore, she can get her where she is going.  Xanthe is a striver.  We didn't have piano this morning because the teacher is out of town, but at 6:30, Xanthe was dressed anyway, asking me to do her hair so she could practice.  She wants to do a good job, whether it's fear of failure or just a very determined nature.  Always with Xanthe, I use the Winnie the Pooh quote that I love and have often mentioned:  "Rivers know this, that there is no hurry.  We shall get there someday."  It brings tears to my eyes every time I repeat it to myself.  It's like Heavenly Father reassuring me through that small thought, that we shall get there.

Xanthe is a very musical little soul.  She is a fiesty, determined, scrappy, happy little soul.  And you know what?  When I look up from the keyboard long enough, I see that we are geting there.  The journey is quite a ride, and I am so grateful to be along.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Progress indeed! She is doing great. I love seeing all that she is accomplishing in life. I also love the Winnie the Pooh quote. I may have to adapt that to my own little winding river boy. :)

sws said...

Xanthe sounds wonderful! Wow, she has improved so so much! You can here her determination in her strong tone. I love the drawings ~ especially the "spicy expression" in her self portrait. Xanthe is so blessed to have you as her mom.

Catherine said...

Way to go Mom and Xanthe! Your heart is in the right place and you will get there.

I look back on my early teaching days and wish I could teach some of those children over. I love that you know how to best help Xanthe and that you're always looking for new ways to teach her. Way to go Mom!

Looking forward to hearing her play the flute in the future.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of little Xanthe..please tell her for me. She is so darling, fiesty is good, it will get her places in this world channeled right. I love her drawings, she is such a doll and what a good and patient mother you are to her and to all your children. Patience is a virtue..love the Winnie the Pooh story of the River, we all should remember that slow and winding, but we will surely get to where we are going..and to enjoy the journey as we wind along. XO Tricia P.S. Be sure to tell Xanthe hi and proud of her, all of them.

Jennifer said...

How wonderful to have Golda and Xanthe do flute together. I love Xanthe's radiance. I am excited to get to know her more this year in Primary.