Tuesday, July 1, 2014

"Alternate" Plans!


So anyway, it was the alternator.  Just like the mechanic predicted, I drove for about 45 minutes before the car's systems started to shut down.  I was in Sardine Canyon and was able to pull over in front of Sherwood Hills and call AAA.  I've secretly been looking forward to cashing in on our AAA coverage, so this was perfect.  I was within 100 miles of home (50 actually), so I had the car towed all the way to Kaysville to good old Rob's Auto.  Fortuitously, Jennie and Ryan were both behind me.  Jennie pulled over and loaded 5 kids and Don Carlos into her car and took them home.  (Thanks a million!)  Ruby wanted to stay with me because, "Mom, what if you get stranded?"

I said, "Ruby, we ARE stranded.  This is what stranded looks like!"  It was nice of her to stay, and fun.  I think she likes the adventure, just like her mom.  Ryan pulled over and waited with us until the tow truck came.  I told him I would feel better if he didn't stay, and he said he would feel better if he did, so I let him.  ;)  Chivalry is not dead!  Thanks, Ryan.  (Scott was already at home, waiting for the kids.  He had had to leave to get to church.)
It was a gorgeous night to be stranded in Sardine Canyon, and I chose a lovely spot to break down, didn't I?   When your car breaks down, you definitely want to be surrounded by breathtaking views. While we waited, I told the kids about the day in 1983 when my family was spending Memorial Day weekend right here in this very spot, at Sherwood Hills Resort.  We got a call that my dad's dad had passed away.  It was the worst day.  So much worse than anything I had ever experienced in my ten years.  When I told my dad where I had broken down, I asked him if he remembered Sherwood Hills.  He answered, "I most certainly do."
In the tow truck, I opened this letter from Golda that I had tucked into my calendar the other day.  She knows exactly what the very nicest thing I could hear is!  "The house is so clean" is all I ever need to hear to feel like I'm on top of the world, because it's such a struggle to keep order.  So that note was a fun little treat as the tow truck guy careened around the interstate.  I am NOT a good passenger.  I have anxiety when someone else is driving to the point that I'm pretty sure I'm going to die in a fiery crash.  Control issues???

My adventurer and our trusty minivan, getting a free ride.  The van deserves it.  It's the hardest working car in the West!  And now, $500 later, it has a brand-new alternator and shiny new battery cables.  We should go on a road trip!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I'm so glad we were right behind you. It was the easiest service I've ever done. :) Glad it was a quick fix. Being without a vehicle is the worst. I guess we are terribly spoiled. The thought of not having a car for a day is such a first world problem. :)