Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Cub River Cabin

Our day at Bear Lake was just a warm-up for a weekend at the cabin.  We arrived just in time to add our picnic supplies to the dinner Marlene was preparing.  Our original plan was to eat at the lake, but that second thunderstorm drove us out.  Hot dogs at the cabin were a good choice!
"Genius is the power of carrying the feelings of childhood into the powers of manhood."  - Samuel Taylor Cooleridge.  Bruce and Marlene have built (so far) a cozy, spacious cabin, a giant treehouse, a shed and fishing closet, a s'more station, a screened-in porch big enough to fit the whole family for dinner, and an extensive labyrinth of decks, providing ample space to sit and relax.  I have yet to see either of them relax much, however.  I think Bruce and Marlene are more comfortable working than enjoying the fruits of their labors.  The rest of us, though, have no problem kicking back to enjoy the tranquil, cute, and beautiful setting that Bruce and Marlene have created for us.  Through their efforts, Scott's parents have built for their family more than a cabin, more than a treehouse, more than a family.  They have created a legacy.  They have created a childhood that all of our kids will carry with them into the world and beyond.  They have created magic.
Fishing closet with a secret compartment in the floor for a cooler of worms.  Shhhh!  Don't tell!
Jackson is the official fire tender.
Uncle Wyan!  Uncle Wyan!
Jennie is the s'more queen.  It's good Jackson is in charge of keeping the fire stoked, just in case a s'more craving pops us!
So peaceful!
The treehouse has a slide, a wrap-around deck and two stories inside.  The boys stayed up until 3:31 am, according to Freestone.  Thanks for making the treehouse relatively soundproof, Bruce!
Petting a toy horse.
My car battery light went on when I was close to the cabin.  I pulled into a garage and the guy told me it was probably the alternator.  Bruce cleaned off the battery cables, to see if that would help.  The warning light went off, and we thought I was safe.  (foreshadowing...)
We lost Tizzy about every five minutes.  This time, she turned up at the sink, washing her hands very thoroughly.  So thoroughly, she had to strip down to nothing.





Bruce and Marlene have a birdhouse collection.  It's fun to look for them in stores and yard sales.

4-wheeler ride with my man.  Scott and the open road...just what I love.


Mother-Daughter 4-wheeler selfies.  Hmmm...
Michelle's brilliant idea:  s'more ingredients in waffle cones.  Delicious!


Marlene dragged out an old pool and a sandbag, and "The Beach" was born.  Hours of fun, I tell you.  The kids loved it!  In fact, they love everything about the cabin.  Minus Scott and Golda, who had to go to church, we stayed longer than we were planning.  It's hard to leave paradise.  Freestone even got to stay an extra night with some of the cousins and Grandma and Grandpa.  For a three-day trip, I packed:  Davis High sweatshirts, toothbrushes and swimsuits.  On the plus side, I didn't have a ton of crap everywhere.  On the negative side, we all had to wear the same outfit for three days.  Whatever.  Sometimes you have to simplify.  Organization takes a lot of time, and it takes the kind of brain power I simply cannot muster when I have seven kids talking to me every second of every day.  In fact, if my blogs seem a little scattered lately, it's because I am carrying on three conversations right now, one with an air conditioner guy, Ptolemy is screaming, and Ruby has 10 kids here for camp.  And it never ends.  You just have to adapt.  It's summer.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so behind. I've missed 4 posts. Such fun adventures and what great kids. I agree about Ruby. What an old soul. We adore her and her sensitive nature. Just as her name implies, she truly is a gem.

michelle said...

The blog doesn't seem scattered! It is wonderful! I love the Dopp adventures!

Amber said...

that sounds about how I pack these days!!