Thursday, October 30, 2014

Bad Dog

This morning at violin lessons, Freestone was ready to start when he asked me, "Do I have ballroom today?"  I said yes, and he had some weird episode where he couldn't function.  It was not pretty.  He wouldn't grab his violin.  Janet had to leave the room "to get something" while I threatened Freestone with all that is holy.  He was fine after that, but still upset that he wasn't mentally prepared to go straight to ballroom after violin, then straight to school.  He is a kid who has to wrap his head around things before he dives in.  When I dropped him off at the school, other ballroom kids were dragging in huge cardboard boxes painted like cars.  They were also dressed like Egyptians.  Free said, "Oh ya.  We were supposed to paint a car for a drive-in movie, but I can't go anyway because of my missing homework."  He had already said he didn't want to dress like an Egyptian for Egyptian day, so he went to school car-less and in civilian clothing, and incidentally, without a package of fig newtons, which was his food assignment.  I was sad because it took everything we had to get Freestone to school dressed, even without all the acoutrements.

I have mixed feelings about the reward system in which some kids get to participate in a party while others have to do homework.  I'm willing to bet the kids who are left out are some of the ones who struggle the most to keep up, and who would LOVE to be doing something right.  For some kids, it's easy-breezy to get everything done.  To put an incentive in front of the kids that may not motivate some of them (I.E. sitting in a cardboard box watching an old movie in the lunchroom), and then punish them when they don't perform, is depressing to me.  Then again, I was the kid in second grade who could not, for the life of me, earn enough fake dimes to qualify me for the weekly popcorn party.  I had a teacher who was borderline abusive, so every Friday, I had to sit at my desk with my head down, listening to the popcorn popper and smelling the warm, buttery goodness wafting toward me from the back of the room, mingled with the happy banter of children who were smarter, better, more worthy than I.  I wasn't even allowed to raise my head to look at them.  I just didn't get it.  I didn't get how to earn the dimes, or why I never did.  One time, I stole some dimes out of Janalee Hill's desk so I could experience the popcorn party, just once.  I was banned from that week's party for stealing and lying.  To this day, I don't know what I did or didn't do to disqualify me from the popcorn party.  It seemed arbitrary how the teacher would dole them out as we worked, and maybe it was.  She was a sociopath.  But it wasn't for lack of wanting to succeed that I failed.  Being excluded just made me more miserable.

So I'm reading my own experiences into Freestone's.  According to my dad, that's the whole problem with today's get-in-touch-with-your-emotions world.  My grandfather was raised on a farm, and carried farm ethics over into his law practice.  The notion of analyzing a criminal's behavior was counter to the practical morals of farm life.  In regards to the insanity defense in a case, my grandfather said, "When a dog goes after a sheep and kills it, you don't ask what the dog's childhood was like.  You just shoot the son-of-a-%#*."

So in theory, I'm OK with saying, "Look, here are the standards, and if you meet them you will be rewarded."  But then I become the parent of a desperate little boy who is brilliant and funny and loving, and who got up at 6 to go to violin to make his mom happy.  Who practices every day and goes to dance classes and scouts, and babysits and takes care of his dog and cooks dinner and stays up late talking to his mom and dad.  But he didn't make a box car because he knew he wasn't worthy.

When I go to school to take him his fig newtons, he is sitting alone in a classroom doing homework, dressed in a floor-length Egyptian tunic that another mom lent him when he came without a costume.  He's wearing eye liner that another parent put on him.  I have failed him.  Suddenly, I'm that second-grader with her head down on her desk, breathing in the buttery smell of everyone else's achievement.

I take my brilliant child away from there and go see Nana.  At her house, everybody qualifies, even the bad dogs.

11 comments:

The homestead said...

Amen. Gordon sees no logic in a kid that is acting up not being able to go out to recess. That's the kid that needs recess the most. The education system is broken but I have no idea how to fix it.

Taylor Family said...

oh my goodness this made me so sad. At least he will end the day on a good note. He will love Cade's party we can't wait to see him.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. I see this everyday in my school where I am a special ed teacher and the 4th grade teachers inflict this pain every Friday and guess who misses out - my students. Last year, a 3rd grade teacher was going to keep one my students from field day -- field day!-- because this student's mother did not (probably could not) pay her daughter's school library past due fee. I was horrified. You can be sure I got our principal involved and this student was happily on her way to field day after sobbing the first half hour of school. I feel your pain.

Lisa and Tate said...

This is so unfair! I feel your pain too. As a special ed teacher (like anonymous) I would see my students miss out on all the fun stuff. Well, on Fridays I had fun stuff for my students so they would not miss out.

Lisa and Tate said...

This is so unfair! I feel your pain too. As a special ed teacher (like anonymous) I would see my students miss out on all the fun stuff. Well, on Fridays I had fun stuff for my students so they would not miss out.

Unknown said...

I hear you! I have a son who absolutely struggles in school. He works harder and longer than any of his siblings on homework and still doesn't quite complete things as he should. He is fortunate this year to have a gem of a teacher who praises him for his efforts. There are no bad children, but there are flawed systems. Sometimes I grow weary of pushing my kids through such systems.

Michelle said...

This is breaking my heart! I'm so glad you took him out of there! And I think you are both wonderful and amazing!

Jennifer said...

This breaks my heart, too. First off, I can't get off the ridiculous clash of drive-in movie and ancient Egypt day. (I don't blame Freestone for balking.) Besides, doesn't the typical costuming on Egypt day celebrate the privileged few whose lifestyle depended on the slave-like treatment of the others? Don't think that you failed him. I bet the eyeliner and tunic were thrust on him. Who brings extra tunics, anyway?!

It's clear from your line, "who got up at 6 to go to violin to make his mom happy," that Freestone likes to please people. You're great at aligning that desire with activities he finds intrinsically enjoyable, too. I'm glad you took him to Nana's.

Jennie said...

Oh wow. This is a full lengthy Shelter discussion complete with about 4 bottles of DC to get us through. It is that deep. Hugs to Free. From our house of always trying to fit the mold, believe me... we get it.

Amanda said...

Ugh! I HATE those earned Fun Fridays it seems ALL the teachers do! What a waste of instructional time! Kids should turn in their homework and complete assignments because they're supposed to, not to earn a reward! My daughter recently told me the Fun Friday Mom forgot to show up one week and so the teacher checked out the iPads and they played on them and played classroom games (ie. Heads up 7-up) ALL day because it was an early out! I about died! They can play at home! Teach them at school! Sorry! You can tell I have a few feelings about this topic!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Wow. Touching. It makes me so sad to think of you and all the other kids who didn't get the popcorn. I am glad you took him to Nanas. Sometimes, when parenting, I think, "what would my mom do?" She was always kind and loving. The funny thing is, she says if she could raise us again, the one thing she would change is she would be nicer! LOL.