Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hobbies and Interests

Do you have hobbies?  What are they?  When I think about my hobbies, i.e., what I like to do if I have a say in it, I picture myself sitting in my car with a treat, listening to NPR.  Or in bed in my pajamas reading a book.  Or sipping hot cocoa and writing on my blog or posting a picture on Instagram.

Some people hike.  Some people bike.  I sit and hold various reading materials and pastries.  I look at screens and sip drinks.  I go through drive-throughs and unwrap straws.  The most exertion I get is lifting a heavy Coke.  If I lived in New York City where big drinks are banned, I seriously wouldn't get any exercise at all.  I mean, nobody is burning calories hefting a measly 12-ounce soda.  Am I right?

After buying a batch of heavenly peanut butter bars for something earlier this week, I had an epiphany the next day.  I was working on my hobby - sitting in the car listening to "Empy-Ah," as Ptolemy would call NPR - when it came to me that I could go to Bowman's Market and buy peanut butter bars for absolutely no reason.  And then I could eat all of them.  It could be my new hobby!  The more I thought about it, the more it made sense that I should absolutely buy myself a whole box of peanut butter bars.  Because, even though I do have my hobbies - reading, sitting, sipping - there is always room for improvement.  (I've read enough self-help books to know that!)  I am confident that I could add "Consuming peanut butter bars without any kids noticing" to the already impressive list of Things I'm Good At.  I know I'm already terribly busy with my other hobbies, but hobbies are meant to expand your horizons, and to stretch your capabilities beyond what you even imagine you're capable of.

So, be forewarned that I am turning off the radio and setting down my Kindle and finishing my Diet Coke, and then I am diving headlong into a new hobby.  A creamy, fluffy, dense, magical world of peanut butter bar consumption.  And I plan to be really good at it, so I'm going to need a lot of practice.

4 comments:

Taylor Family said...

If you need someone to join you I could use a new hobby. I would be so good at that one.

michelle said...

And that, my dear, is why we are friends! I'll meet you at Bowmans!

Jennie said...

I LOL'd at the part about eating it without the kids knowing. I did the same thing on Tuesday as I drove Izzy home from dance. I had met Ry and Jack at Yogo. Jack needed an outing and do Ryan called me to meet them. I had 5 minutes before dance pick up - so no time to finish a Yogo. Luckily she sat directly behind me in the car and never noticed my cup of deliciousness. She chatted about dance and I uh-hummed as I ate my treat all the way home. :) I did feel a tiny bit guilty and was tempted to share. But, the natural man in me kept it all to myself. I guess I too will have to keep practicing so that maybe one day I can share. :)

Ernstfamilyfun said...

hahaha! Love it:) Hmmmm, I need a fun hobby like that too. I'll have to think about it- you have inspired me!