Monday, October 27, 2014

Shelter Weekend




 Autumn is more spectacular in other climates, I'm sure, but if you're a Utah girl, there is nothing better than the Rocky Mountain landscape coming alive with the dusty, rusty colors of fall.  And I'm sure there are people in the world who had more exciting plans than mine this past weekend, but if I had to choose a place and a plan, there is noplace I would rather have been than in Park City with some of my oldest friends.  Nobody is sure quite how this particular group was distilled out of many years of shared Davis County memories, but I think it was meant to be.

The only drawback to a blissful weekend retreat is that something happens to the space-time continuum and time just races by at an astonishing pace.  Huge chunks of time just fall away amid discussions of everything under the sun and stuffing your face with chocolate.  It's like the opposite of what sometimes happens in Sacrament meeting when you wonder how it could possibly be the same day as when you arrived and the meeting is only half over.

We must have indeed spent those hours together, though, because we did go to Sushi Blue for dinner Friday night, I did get up semi-early Saturday and walk to the Silver Star and watch for poop fairies, we did fit in a little hike, and we did take an art class Saturday afternoon, we opened presents and cooked dinner and at the end of it all, a whole lot of Coke products were missing.  So there's proof that we did have the time.

Scott's weekend was flying by at home, too.  It's hard to be a single dad on Saturday this time of year.  We had to eliminate a cello play-in, a flute workshop and the Utah football game and just stick to the basics.  Scott was on a daddying high all weekend.  He eats this stuff up.  He would be a great stay-at-home dad.  The kids would be so clean and happy.
 And stoned.  Just kidding.  Golda went to the Halloween dance Saturday dressed as a hippie thanks to - who else - Jen Ramsdell's costuming acumen and generosity.  Thank you again!
 Evidently Scott bought some Halloween costumage so the rest of the kids wouldn't have to be strictly confined to old ballet costumes for the ward trunk-or-treat.

 OK, still somewhat old-ballet-costume heavy on some.
 Blatantly disobeying the "no crossdressing" rule at the trunk-or-treat.  You mustachioed rebels!
 Far more amazing than he looks.  lol
 Dopp kids, with Ellison subbing for Golda.

 Xanthe in her happy place, looking beautiful.
 And after that...Golda and her group came over after the dance for some caramel apples with Nikki's topping idea, and to watch Watcher in the Woods.  Scott loves to stage a party, and he's good at it!


 Emily and Jess (Christine's daughter)
Zach.  What a great catch for the Halloween dance, huh?  Anyway, all of that was going on while I was away.  I love that our group was getting texts and pics from our families the whole time.  We love to have these weekends together, but our hearts are truly with our families.  Still...what fun we had running away from home!

 Jen Ramsdell.  You know her.  Everyone does.  And since to know her is to love her, don't you just love her?  I do.  And in the foreground are the two women who share my birthday weekend, Michelle and Jennie.
 The Dopp girls of the group


 Tiffany, our real working artist, did not enjoy - or adhere to - the time constraints or artistic constraints of this project!
 Look at Jen's clouds!  Masterpiece!
 Sarah, my partner in art crime since the early days of routinely ruining my mom's Merle Norman makeup in the name of performance art, circa 1981.
 Michelle Butler (Okay, Fitzgerald), our resident expert.  She knows how to art and craft, and knows all the secrets and shortcuts of artistic success.
 Jennie was afraid she wouldn't be able to pull off an artistic endeavor.  What EVER!!!
 My palette expanded...and expanded.  I'm sure that definitely says something about my personality, that I couldn't restrict my color mixing to the designated space.  My luggage did the same thing, throwing clothes out all over Sarah's condo.  Let's call it right-brained creativity, shall we?


 Beautiful Christine!  She joked that if our paintings reflected who we are, then she is a five-year-old.  In reality, I think all the paintings in the class turned out great, and it was a lot of fun.

 They've taken me in, even though they know stuff about me that isn't even in the journals my kids have read.  I don't know that they had a choice.  I've just kindof always been there, pointing and flexing next to Sarah in a size 2T leotard, begging Michelle's 6th grade potato chips, showing up in smocked dresses at birthday parties, playing the violin with Christine, eating far more than my share of chocolate chip cookies at Chris and Jen's wedding, and relying on Jennie for advice of every kind.  I'm hard to get rid of.  Plus, I send out a lot of invitations, and eventually, you have to say yes.
 The birthday girls!
 Speaking of saying yes...YES!  Sarah, thank you for hosting us in your beautiful space.

8 comments:

Taylor Family said...

What a fun weekend!

The homestead said...

How fun for you to get away! Love that Scott had it all under control.

Jennifer said...

Caramel viscosity management, ha ha! You just had to get in a jab about no cross-dressing at the church -- but if a mustache makes you complicit, I better look into waxing.

Jennie said...

I'm having a choc. hangover today. I wish we could go back. It was heavenly.

michelle said...

I'm having an everything withdrawl. I need more chocolate, diet coke and my girls. Good thing there is lunch tomorrow!

Ernstfamilyfun said...

and stoned- LOL. Your painting is amazing! You should paint more! I love how beautiful EACH painting turned out! They are all so different and yet so awesome!

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend! Love all the pictures and reading of your activities, fun, fun, fun!! Love how Scott can take over and in his cool dad way, handle it all. Love the paintings you girls did, all so different, but all so good. Love yours, will expect to see it hanging when we come for Christmas!! Love it. Happy Birthday again! xo Aunt Tricia (you know, I live in Miami, hee-hee) I probably have my commas in the wrong place, sorry!

sws said...

I loved your comments, Circe. You've been a stellar friend and I look forward to re-telling all of our stories in the assisted living facility one day.