Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Ptolemy's Behavior

In my inbox yesterday was an email with the subject line "Ptolemy's Behavior."  I groaned.  We JUST got Xanthe settled into resource.  We're still trying to figure out why Freestone has such an aversion to completing and turning in homework, sitting with him until it's done every night.  And now this!  Here's what the email said:

I am concerned about Ptolemy's behavior in class, and I do not know if this is normal behavior for him or if it is just this particular kindergarten class. He seems really lethargic and will rarely participate in class. Yesterday I had the entire class, except Ptolemy, singing and doing the gestures to a dance. On the carpet he will not repeat french words/phrases with the other students (and it is done as a whole group, so he is not put on the spot). Anyway, I just don't know if this is normal for him or not. I am concerned because he does not seem to be fully "there" and "present" during lessons and class participation. 


Well, that's a relief!  Compared to what we've been through with some of the other kids, I actually chortled when I read that he won't sing and do the gestures to the dance.  Neither would I.  In fact, my kindergarten teacher reported to my parents that "Circe has a very active imagination.  She could have fun in a closet all by herself!"  Code for "Circe is weird and has no friends."

That said, I don't know why Ptolemy would be acting lethargic in class.  He comes home and sings the songs he learned at school, boisterously accompanied by actions.  He remembers all the French.  I didn't spell all that out for the teacher; I didn't want to sound defensive.  I love Ptolemy's teacher and I think she's really, really good.  Ptolemy is sharp.  He's super-smart.  Maybe he looks catatonic when he's learning, but he is taking in everything around him.  He saw a little girl from his class at Scary Hill, and would not stop talking about it.  "I saw Benson two times.  I said hi to Benson.  Benson was at Scary Hill.  We were both at Scary Hill.  Benson and me.  I said hi to her.  Two times."  (Funny side story:  I picked Tolly up from ballet and there was a new African-American girl in his class who has rich, dark skin.  He pointed her out to me and said, "That's my new friend at ballet, the one in the brown.  Her skin is SO brown, browner than Xanthe's!")

So anyway, I know he's not lethargic...on the inside.  We might have a sleeper on our hands.  He's just waiting for the right moment to wow the kindergarten world.  Until that happens, let's let him sit on the rug with a blank stare on his face while he still can.

1 comment:

Ernstfamilyfun said...

Whenever I'm worried about one of my kids, my mom ALWAYS says, "He/she will turn out just fine!"