Thursday, October 2, 2014

Turning Out Lovely


Golda and Ruby are at an age where I don't feel like I can take credit for any of their accomplishments.  I just stand back and admire how lovely they are.  We got so lucky with these two.   We had literally no idea what we were doing, yet they seem to be turning out quite nicely, in spite of our efforts. Golda loves to write thank you notes and leave them for family members to find after she leaves for school.  I love this one.  She wrote it soon after I had come home one night to discover her filling out an audition form for Davis Youth Symphony.  This is the group that she hated two years ago, when she had to play piccolo.    It was a harsh learning experience for me when Golda loathed the thing I pushed her into.  I vowed not to force her to do anything ever again, but I probably failed at that resolution.  In fact, the Davis Youth experience may have steeled my resolve that kids should suffer a tiny bit for their accomplishments.  Life isn't just easy all the time.  I did learn to release my grip somewhat, however.  And now, after a year without orchestra, Golda is back in, with her sights on scholarships and resumes.  

When I saw her filling out the form, I smirked, "You just couldn't handle it, could you?"  
"What do you mean?"
"You just couldn't handle having two hours free on Mondays."
Golda laughed and agreed that yes, I have ruined my children.  Golda and Ruby are at least as high-strung as I am.  Saturday night, Ruby, after several ballet/Nutcracker rehearsals, teaching violin lessons, playing in a guitar recital and listening to the church broadcast, was sitting in the kitchen at 9 pm with nothing to do.  She groaned, "I hate free time!  It's so stressful!"  
Roy's garden recital was moved inside due to rain, so Golda was the only sibling who got to attend.  Space limitations.  Everyone clamors to go to Roy's recitals because the food afterward is so good.  I humiliated myself by contributing Bowman's donuts to the pot luck.  I cringed when I set them down next to Jude's grass-fed Niman Ranch beef slices and her scratch-made quiche made with free-range eggs and vegetables from her garden.  In my defense, the fall-colored sprinkles on the donuts were adorable.
These poor kids don't have a chance, being raised by the guy with the goofy look on his mug and the woman with the crazed gleam in her eye, attempting a pre-recital selfie.  The kids will be scarred.  The only question is, "In what way?"  Whatever, though.  We'll worry about that later.  For now, just listen to this awesome performance of Ruby's.  She nailed it!!  (Ignore the ambient noises coming from the beehive of a kitchen.)
Or perhaps they'll be just fine.  Look how beautiful this girl is!
Look how beautiful both of them are!  These are the quick snapshots I took as they were on their way to a Dance Company photo shoot for which we hadn't bought a picture packet.  Another way they have to suffer:  not being able to buy everything that's an option.  But thank heavens we don't have the means to indulge every desire.  That's the quickest way to ruin a child!  One look at these snapshots, and I know they'll be just fine without those professional photos, and I will too.





2 comments:

Jennie said...

They are both stunning and so accomplished. We love them both!

Taylor Family said...

They are turning out lovely. Cute girls!